HD Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

1ceHacka

Baseband Member
During the thanksgiving period I picked up a Seagate 200GB for $30. Great deal. Put it in my PC as slave; ran well until today. First it crashed my PC, so I unhooked its power....booted....no problems. Plugged it back in....big problems. It won't even boot. When powered up it sounds like it has a clicking noise....like it is trying to spool but can't. This is pratically brand new....any ideas on the failure??

Return it, Its defective. Clicking sounds indicate the drive is bad, the Arm inside is either scartching the plate or the Arm is otherwise not functioning correctly.

I just called Seagate and they want me to just take it back to the location I bought it from (CompUSA). But I am losing a ton of data...and well frankly I will not lose it. Will Seagate pay to recover my data since it was their fault?

I highly doubt that they will pay for lost data.. Can't imagine how many people lose data day to day from hard drives gone bad. You can't prove it's their fault for one.. so it wouldn't ever hold up in court.. so it is kind of a moot point.

Just take it back and get another one, and suck up your losses is all you really can do =\

You never know when a hard drive can break, you get a virus or something else. You should always back up you data. If you don't its only a matter of time before you learn your lesson.

See this data would be about 4,000 songs, 100 movies, and cd image files. How can they prove it is my fault?? And if it isn't my fault...doesn't it have to be theirs?

1ceHacka said:
See this data would be about 4,000 songs, 100 movies, and cd image files. How can they prove it is my fault?? And if it isn't my fault...doesn't it have to be theirs?

A bad harddrive is thier fault but, they will not back up your data, you have to pay big money for them to recover data off a drive with physical problems.

Learn to back up your data.

I don't have the resources to backup around 100GB of just songs, movies, and image files????

Dude use your head. For one like the guy above said it costs a lot of money to actually take each and every one of the disks out to get the data off of them.

More than likely.. your 100 movies, and 4000 songs aren't 'legal' so that is another thing they could use against you.

Can't prove it's anyones fault..and the court would throw it out .. if you REALLY wanted to get to the legality of it. Could say you abused it. It got messed up while you installed it. Or that it got messed up in shipping.. or just a number of things.

So, just back up your data like everyone said .. sucks yes I know (I just lost 60 gigs of shit because I didnt back it up) .. but that's how the cookie crumbles if you don't want to spend the time to back it all up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom