Tearing Problems on 9800 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

kev946

Solid State Member
closed forum

Hello. My Radeon 9800 Pro 128 is a POS. I just purchased it last year and it has been working beautifly. Now, when I install and play World of Warcraft, I get all kinds of graphical errors in all of my games. In every game I play, now I see tearing, and and all these blips blipping on my screen. It is pissing me off. Please help me fix this problem. The tearing occuring in my games is so bad that it is unplayable. Thank you -Kevin

oh and none of my settings have been changed either, they are all catalyst 5.11 defaults

I'd try pulling it out and reseating it.If its still bad go to Ati's site and get an rma # quick and send it back.They'll either fix it or send you a replacement.Just send the actual card not all the peripherials.I had to do it with my nvidia recently.

It could be an overheating problem due to the artifacts, try to clear the dust in the fans or put some AS5 on the heatsink.

I just sold my 9800pro :p

Hah i have that exact same card and right next to this thread is mine about image tearing. I think its a problem inherent to the 9800 card, although I dont really find it noticable in anything other then first person shooters. No idea why the 9800 is inflicted with this problem. It has nothing to do with how the card is seated or the card overheating, mine is running fine and I still get tearing.

fan

ok so i figured it out.. i have to take off my case cover and point a fan blowing at my video card to stop tearing. So is there another way to fix heat issues without buying more crap? can I overclock the little POS fan?

It's overheating dude, you can't just go ahead and overclock it. You gotta cool that b!tch down! I have the 9800 Pro as well, and I've been getting all kinds of problems recently too, even though I applied AS5 when I first bought it. POS is right.

You can try clean off dust or reseat the heatsink (but you will need better thermal paste, try Arctic Silver 5, which is under 10 bucks). You can also try buying a better heatsink, if you want to overclock.

Hmm that actually got rid of the tearing completely? The fan really is crap Ive no idea why ATI put such a bad one on it, makes overclocking on stock really poor. Im thinking about putting a better fan in the case next to the video card to see if that helps. Im kind of pissed though, unless ATI does something amazing im going for an NVIDIA card next time.

I also put on AS5, that did next to nothing with the crappy fan in place. As for buying a new fan, screw it would be my opinion. That will cost you cash, risk damaging your card and is overall not worth it. Id just try to optimaze the cooling in your case and ride the 9800 out until you can get a new one. Thats what im doing at least.

omg

ok so i just checked my fan on my card and it is not spinning. Im assuming this is bad, i did not do crap to the card so I would find it hard to believe that it just died out. Is there a way I can 'turn' the fan back on?

LoL dude, RMA to it wherever you bought it or ATI they will take it for a dead fan. Or you can buy a new fan VF-700cu :)

ATI is POS :D lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom