Gaming Build- need to shave $300 off

Status
Not open for further replies.

bap1130

Solid State Member
OK, I am looking to build a rig that 1) can play all the latest games (call of duty 2, counter strike source, etc) and 2) wont have to be upgraded any time soon

Heres the build I have below, which includes everything as quoted from newegg.com. However, I only have a $1000 budget, so I need to downgrade a few things as its current price is $1300.

What areas can I afford to downgrade without sacrificing significant performance? Can I downgrade from here and still play the latest games? Thanks for your help guys!

Current Build:

Core Parts-

Motherboard- MSI K8N Neo4 939 Nvidia ($81)
Processor- AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice ($166)
Memory- Corsair ValueSelect 1GB ($75)
Video- Geforce 6800S 256GB PCI Express x16 ($209)
Hard Drive- Maxtor DiamondMax 200GB 7200 RPM ($88)
Power- Enermax Noisetaker 485W ($86)
Case- RaidMax Astro ATX Mid Tower ($30)

Accessories-

Sony Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive ($22)
Lite-On Black IDE DVD Burner ($40)
HP Silver-Black 17" LCD Monitor ($245)
D-Link DGE-530T Network Adapter ($20)
TRENDnet PCI Wireless Adapter ($22)
DCT Factory OG Speakers ($10)
Logitech Internet Pro Keyboard ($10)
Logitech MX518 Mouse ($35)
Windows XP Home OEM ($87)

Total inc. shipping - $1300

Goal- $1000

Well could you ditch the dvd drive since your getting the dvdrw, probably find a better deal on a monitor, use a windows key from the computer you are replacing, the psu seems a little spendy also. Its not 300 but its something

Do you already have a monitor? If you do I would say hold off on the LCD which should get you close to your goal. Good choice with the mouse I have one myself :), but it isn't needed and you could hold off from getting it.

unfortunetaly i dont have any monitor at all since im selling my laptop for a desktop, so I definetaly need one, but I cant seem to find any better deals on them around...also what would be a better power supply?

thanks again!

I'd get an Antec Sonata case or a fortron power supply. WOuld probably save about 20-30 dollars. Also are all those networking sort of cards needed? And I agree with the previous post, don't get a DVD drive and a burner. Also a cheaper monitor maybe?

The reason I need both network cards is that we arent allowed to have routers at the college I am at, but since we only have one port in our room per person, I wont be able to hook up my xbox and computer at the same time. So I was thinking that while Im playing games on my desktop, I can have the wired connection, and then when Im on the xbox, just have the wireless connection so that I can still have the internet on my desktop.

Also, for the monitor, is a 15" screen good enough for gaming and such?

Forgot to add, but would a 400W power supply be enough for this system? The guide on the main page says for medium range, 400-500...

Id get rid of the LCD and get a good old CRT :D a lot cheaper and IMO better for games. Could also cut the graphics card down to 6800GT, Or shave a little off by getting a cheaper motherboard from Gigabyte there very reliable. And your buying a dvd rom and burner? why not 1 just 1 drive that can read and burn save some money there too.

thanks again guys, I appreciate all the help I can get! I think Im prolly gonna go with that 15" monitor especially if the difference isnt that noticible between a 15" and 17" cause the price difference is significance...also, I was thinking about going with a CRT display, but the problem is space on my desk is limited as it is, nevermind putting a huge display in there, so the flat screen is probably the better option...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom