what is the difference b/w all these mother boards???and CPUs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
between 400, and 333, you probably wouldn't see to much of a difference, but the 400 would perform better...

go to www.newegg.com

browse around, then post what parts you've picked out and *someone here at tf will tell you if they'll work well, (lol, I might not be online at the time)

btw, from your sig, I bet you could still use your Hard drive, dvd-rw, cd-rw,the modem, and maybe the operating system if you have the cd...

but the ram would be to old... and when buying new, I suggest at least 512MB or more

thanx...i will...

ya...i was planning on using everything from my old pc except the ram (which i was planning on getting a 1024 (if i can afford it) if not, 512.., mother board, cpu, and vga (I ave 64mb vga built in, need to get 128 or maybe 256)

I've looked at the prices of these 2 boards at a local shop:

Intel Original MotherBoard 915PGN ,DDR support ,pci xpress $ 85.00

Intel Original MotherBoard 915 GAVL -VGA128 -Sound -PCI Express-DDr support +LAN $ 104.00

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d915pgn/index.htm

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d915gav/index.htm

Now heres the links to the product page at the intel website;

Could anyone point the difference for me??? and why the price differnce?

I also have another question; isnt the board simply the support or place to which all peripherals, including the CPU are attached? if yes, then why should it be some "good" brand or some "good" board model or so?? what i mean is why difference does it make if the board someone gets is a cheap one of an unknown brand name and if it is intel or amd??? isnt the performance difference in the CPU (in which case should be good??)

thanx again...

[edit]

just figured out somethign...and it got me more lost!!
what is the "chipset"??? is it the processor?? or what? because i doubt the board comes with a processor....

its a good idea but i doubt they sell these stuff here (never seen them before) and it is kind of hard to get it from the internet (newegg or something) because it will cost me alot for international shipping...

still have a couple of questions;
just figured out somethign...and it got me more lost!!
what is the "chipset"??? is it the processor?? or what? because i doubt the board comes with a processor....

and
I also have another question; isnt the board simply the support or place to which all peripherals, including the CPU are attached? if yes, then why should it be some "good" brand or some "good" board model or so?? what i mean is why difference does it make if the board someone gets is a cheap one of an unknown brand name and if it is intel or amd??? isnt the performance difference in the CPU (in which case should be good??)

Also, about the graphics card; can i install an external vga card to a board that already has a built in graphics card? will the total memory add up??

thanx agian...

newegg is one of the best computer stores there is... (thought everyone had heard of them)

1 - I don't really know how to define a chipset, ...hmmm... my computer uses an ac97 or something...(but it's not the processor)

2 - a)yes
b) amd and intel are types of processors (not neccesarily brands)
http://www.amd.com/us-en/ http://www.intel.com/
amd out performs intel, an amd at 2Ghz would be as fast or faster than an intel at 3Ghz

3 - by external do you mean one that installs to a slot on the motherboard rather than one built in...? if so, then no, the memory of the integrated gfx card and the slot card wouldn't add up...

thank you for your reply...

so does it matter if some one buys an intel or amd board or any other board? i have seen boards (whose manufacturers are not well know...) which are 40 or 50$ cheaper than intel boards (and pretty much same specs...) does it matter? i mean if you are getting a CPU, then the performance of the pc depends on how good your cpu is (more or less) but what about the board? it doesnt affect performance..and it cant (i guess) get damaged or stop working or somethign...?? I dont know...maybe i should just get an amd baord...!!

about the vga card..do you mean that if a board comes with a built in graphics card, you cant intstall a 128 or 256 one? (yes, to the slot) so you are bound to what ever vga card comes with it? (if the memory doesnt add, then if you install an external card, what happens? does your cmoputer only use the external one and disregard the built in one or what?
thanx

(btw...i have heard of newegg but since i dont live in the states, it would cost me a lot of money to ship internationally so buying from there wont be my first choice)

no it really doesn't matter what board you buy, some are better than others, but I'd suggest at least makeing a new post of what parts you are looking into, and tf users will most likely make suggestions...

btw, a lot of companies that don't advertise are really well known in the techie community... a good example is AMD...

as for that second q, sort of... when you install another video card, usually you have to go into the bios and set the initial display to the .. pci, agp, or pci-e slot,... but on some motherboards you can keep both video adapters enabled and use two+ monitors...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom