Unlocking an 80 GB HDD to make it 120 GB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When a lower grade processor has more demand than higher grade one they clock the higher one lower to meet demand. They may have enough enough places in teh HD to make it 120 but i doubt they just "locked" it somehow.

the only thing that's closest to something being 'locked' is GPUs....like the 9600XT, maybe it had a couple corrupted pipelines, so they'd just lock those out and boom call it a 9800pro.....think it was those cards anyway....like PP basically said......CPU's aren't locked per se...they just pull a CPU off the line and see how well it performs......if it can perform at 2GHz it's a 3200+ , if it can perform only at 1.8GHz then it's a 3000+....when a shitload of people are rushing to buy a 3000+ or 3200+ then they'll take a CPU that could have easily been a 3500+, set the multi lower and call it a 3200+.

he probably is exxagerating a little bit and maybe knows of a program that formats the disk differently. thats all i can think of enless he is... weird.

lol this is a pretty funny thread. ive never heard of unlocking a hard drive. but if u could, trust me every body on this site would already have done it twice. i wish it was possible becasue my 60gb isnt enough space lol. and maybe we can unlock my optical mouse from 800dpi to 1600. lol oh nubiuus when they test cpus like that its called binning, they just test several cpus and yes see what they can do, and they do the same with memory, if it runs at 222-5 ddr 400mhz its thrown in to that tray with all the others, and sold as ddr400 2225 memory, and if its slower its thrown in a seperate tray and sold as what ever it runs at. i wish i worked at a place like that lol i would be slipping memory sticks in my pocket lol

Yeah, I can see this has turned into a big joke. It doesn't matter. I thought it was fishy myself, but figured, what the hell, might as well ask. Like I said before, I think it's probably possible to do, just doubt that they are holding out 40 gigs.

I think what your friend's uncle means is the leftover platter space. For example my T7K250 Hitachi's or the seagate 7200.8 family uses 133GB platters. (2x133 = 266)

"The Barracuda 7200.8 family actually straddles the divide between the newer 133 GB platters and the industry-standard capacity of 100 GB/disk. The flagship 400 GB unit incorporates just three platters to achieve its monstrous capacity. The 250 GB drive also uses the denser disk with two platters (the remaining 16 GB electronically "ignored" to achieve a more marketable standard capacity). " - StorageReview.com

Technically that also means their "400gb" drives are really 399 (133x3).

40GB locked out seems extreme unless it was a while ago and they just came out with 60GB platters. Then i guess from a market standpoint you could use two 60GB platters and call it an 80GB just to fill in a market niche while still taking advatage of the higher density.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom