Hard Drive Failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Self test failure don't sound good.It's been awhile since I've used those utilities.

try installing xp on his hd then once u have sp2 and put in the driver for your card attach yours.

If the hdd is shot is there any chance of me being able to access it at all? Just so that I can get some files off of it.

if its spinning and u slave it to your brothers, u should be able to.

I installed XP on the 120GB HD, set its jumper settings to master, and placed it at the IDE HD1 connector of the cable. I set the 250GB HD's jumper settings to slave and placed it at the HD2/ZIP connector of the same cable. My controller card has two IDE slots on it. If I connect the HDs to slot 1 then the controller card never recognizes them. If I connect them to slot two then after I power the computer back up it doesn't recognize them. However after if after it gives me the message of no drives attatched, I press ctrl,alt,del to restart then after the restart it recognizes both HDs.

After this happens it sits there for a while then finally says strike F1 to continue, F2 for setup. If I strike F1 then it says disk read error and I have to reboot. After I reboot this time it only recognizes the 120GB HD and will only recognize it until I power down. It will never load windows except for one way.

If I connect the 120GB HD to my mobo and remove the controller card then it will load windows. I cannot however have the 250GB HD connected to the cable or else windows will not load.

Also if I only connect the 250GB HD to the second IDE slot of the controller card then on initial power up the controller card detects nothing. After reboot it detects the drive, windows doesn't load, I get "A disk read error occured. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart," and WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic always fails to run. I guess my HD is just shot.

put your ear next to it when u start the conputer, or hold it youll feel it spinning.Try them both on cable select.

As far as I can tell the disk is spinning. I tried using HDD Regenerator however it said that no bad sectors were found.

Right now I have the 120 GB HD set at the master end of the ide cable and the 250 GB HD at the slave connector. Both are set to cable select. After initial boot, the windows xp logo appears then I get the blue screen of death.

I tried booting into safe mode and once again got the BSOD. If I turn off the 250GB HD in bios or disconnect it from the cable then windows loads fine off of the 120GB HD.

hmmmmmm its not looking good.

try taking the jumper totally off on the 250 on rare occasions ive had success with that.

Your OS was on this drive right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom