Computer build

Status
Not open for further replies.
but will the AMD be able to handle large coding and network utilities like Intel??? Also large libraries of music being manipulated (videos also).

Here you go:

motherboard : MSI K8N Neo4-F
$80

CPU : AMD Athlon 64 3200+
$166

video card: eVGA 6800GS
$209

PSU : OCZ Modstream 450W (with this PSU you can remove the cables you don't need, which will give you better airflow)
$78

RAM : G.SKILL 1GB DDR400 TCCD (not LA)
$152

Total w/ tax, shipping = $761.75
That leaves you enough money to buy pretty much any case you want, within reason. I'm assuming you have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, Windows, etc. since you don't mention the need for them. You're lucky you've got your hard drives already or we'd have to scale some of this back. That's a pretty good system for under a grand. If you're going to overclock, switch the MSI motherboard for this. That would bring the total to a little over $800, but it'd be worth it, I'm told. The 6800GS is supposed to be able to overclock like crazy. If you want to swing the balance more toward app crunching and away from gaming, switch the 6800GS for an eVGA 6600GT (which has a $20 mail-in rebate right now making the price a crazy $119) and the G.SKILL RAM for Corsair ValueSelect, and then get an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (instead of the regular 3200+), which is a dual-core processor. The total will be about the same. SLI is a waste of money - do a search here and you'll find all sorts of SLI-bashing. :)

Yes, the AMD processor will be able to handle heavy apps. Intel has the edge there, but it's not by much at all, just like AMD has the edge in games, but not by much. The main thing AMD has over Intel is price and overclockability, since AMD multipliers aren't locked like Intel. Don't get an Intel dual-core.

Finally, if you can scrape up another $50, get yourself a nice CPU heatsink/fan apparatus, such as the Thermaltake Typhoon (which has been getting a lot of recommendations here as of late) or anything from Zalman. A cool CPU is a happy CPU! :D

You should go with AMD Processors. The Athlon 64-bit Socket 939 Processors pwn. Like hefemeister said, you get more bang for your buck with AMD processors. If you do decide to go with AMD, the 3700+San Diego Chipset would be a good choice. It's only $233 on newegg, with speed of 2.21Ghz and 1Mb L2 Cache. To support this AMD Socket 939 Processor, I'd go with Abit or ASUS. I have Abit AN8 Ultra, and it's easy to setup with good features (go to www.abit-usa.com to read about it). With your price budget, I wouldn't go with SLI. As far as a video card, you definitely want to go with PCI-Express x 16 (make sure your Mobo is PCI-Express compatible). I'd go with a 6800GT or if you have enough money go with the 7800GT. For RAM, go with OCZ or Corsair (I prefer OCZ). Get a good brand 500W PSU...Antec, Thermaltake, Aspire are a few. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom