$600 to spend on new VGA and Proc/MoBo

Status
Not open for further replies.

donutdan

Solid State Member
First post here so dont get mad at me, but im not totally noob. Okay ill start things off by saying what i currently use:
AMD 2800+, 512 Pc3200, Radeon 8000 (made around 500 BC), 350W power supply. The rest is fine

Ive had experiance building computers before and my dad owns a computer business so i can get any help on building if i have questions.
Ive got about 600$ from saving and christmas coming up to spend on getting a new processor motherboard and GFX card. I was thinking about getting a mobo like this that supports 939 chipset and a 256mb gfx card (mine currently doesnt) and a few gigs of ram for future upgrading...

I have also been looking at the Proc/MoBo combos that Frys Electronics sell like this one http://www.netaffilia.com/ad/electronics/frys/i/2005/12/02/13916.html but i dont know...
Also for GFX cards i would be playing games like F.E.A.R. HL2 and a lot of CS 1.6. I was looking into either a 6800gt or gtx but im also a fan of radeon so i was looking at the x850. Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated because im so lost with all the things to look at.

Also a side question that im not sure about is if ill have to upgrade my power supply. I dont want to take any chances on it not working or blowing something up :eek:

My recommendations:

Go with a Nvidia 6800gs or a 7800gt.

Go with a DFI lanparty ultra 939 mboard.

Go with an Ocz 520w modstream psu.

3700 San Diego processor, or if budget allows a 3800 x2 dual core.

thanks a ton. i was talking to my friend and he says that the DFI mobos are hard to configure and whatnot, so i might go with another brand, but the other info was a big help

no they just have alot of options but if you want get a MSI mobo and get more ram or get a 7800gt instead

actually i just opened my comp up and it turns out she has a 480 watt power supply (and 5 pounds of dust). So that means i have an extra 100 bucks that i can put to getting a better gfx card (7800gt) and or another gig of ram

donutdan said:
actually i just opened my comp up and it turns out she has a 480 watt power supply (and 5 pounds of dust). So that means i have an extra 100 bucks that i can put to getting a better gfx card (7800gt) and or another gig of ram

What brand is it and how old is it?

Its a low end PSU, so you are taking a bit of a chance using it.

Quote:

"If you are looking for a gaming system supply, you might want to look else where."

I personally dont believe in cheaping out on PSUs. Weak ones can cause numerous problems and/or damage to your system. I would buy the modstream or an antec brand if possible, but its up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom