Need advice buying new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

jas321

Solid State Member
Hello

Sometime next year i am looking into building a new system something that is going to be very fast and that can handle HD footage and gives very fast rendering times, also will be used as a top gaming machine.

I have been looking at a pair of the

Intel XEON Nocona 3.6 GHz

or the

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4400+

what would you recommend and why?

Thank you for your help

Well.. Id have to say the Athlon 64. Because i havent had any problems with them, and they run really well. But either choice isnt to bad. Prive might even go down if your buying them next year. But all in all either of them are good processors

Rendering tends to go better with Intel products, although I'm an AMD guy. Personally, I think AMD's are better all-around processors. BUT, now that I've cleared that up, the Xeons will be faster, since you have 2. If you're not building a server, I would suggest saving your money and using a single macho-processor. Wait till spring 06 for AMD's new line up of processors. If you need to build now though, price/performance ratio is COMPLETELY in AMD's corner. 2 xeons will cost you an arm and a leg, and all the hardware around it.

My vote is for a single AMD X2 processor.

Ryan

In a year there will be a Quad core Xeon.
Its to far away to make a decision. Who knows what will happen by them. We really don't know whose 65nm CPUs are going to be the best. Right now, AMD X2s are the best.

turtile said:
In a year there will be a Quad core Xeon.
Its to far away to make a decision. Who knows what will happen by them. We really don't know whose 65nm CPUs are going to be the best. Right now, AMD X2s are the best.

Hi

Thanks for the advice guys

turtile

i am not talking about a year from now i am talking about next year as in January 06, so you say go with 2X Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4400+ and get 2GB of ram in there.

yep, the Xeons are specifically designed for servers, so therefore are probably slower, and as the AMDs are immense i would go with them! The other option which i think is better, it costs in between is to get dual Athlon 64s probably twin 3800 / 3700s and get a dual mobo, that would be alot faster and as we all know, two is better than one!

Well if you went through the agony of pricing Zeons...why not Dual Opteron 280? 2.8 GHZ, 2 MB cache, Dual-Core, AND Dual processors (2-way) ...so what if they are $1280 EACH????? ;) The Xeon's are only $720 each but hey think of the speed!!!! And what about an 8-way workstation with 8 Opterons? lol.

Personally, I'm sticking with A64 x2 4400...that way it's not 20,000 USD to build.

Ok looks like IÂ’ll be going with 2 x Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Cores 4400, any good review sites on this CPU? is it worth putting a bit more and going for the Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800? would there be a big difference between these to?

what motherboard would you guys recommend i get to go with this CPU?

thanks

jas321 said:
Ok looks like IÂ’ll be going with 2 x Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Cores 4400, any good review sites on this CPU? is it worth putting a bit more and going for the Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800? would there be a big difference between these to?

Some one correct me if am wrong but I never heard of a computer using two X2 cpus. I dont even think SKT 939 has a motherboard that holds two cpus. If you want a amd with 2 dual core cpus you have to go with a skt 940 opteron setup.

Maybe I missunderstand you and you just mean 1 X2 that is dual core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom