Critique my system...listing parts for build

Status
Not open for further replies.

arejay

Baseband Member
INfo: I do digital artwork, pre-press, print work, lots of photoshop, illustrator, digital photography work, web work etc.

I'm currently running a Dell Dimension 8200 and It's becoming slow and the fact that it's packed with RDRAM pisses me off, because for a little more than the price of upgraded RAM, I can build a whole new system...

Anywho, here's what I've come up with:

ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Socket 939 ULi M1695 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3700BNBOX
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT400
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST380817AS 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive (might add another one of these)
LITE-ON Black IDE DVD Burner Model SOHW-193S Black
SONY Black IDE CD-ROM Drive Model CDU5225
ePOWER EP-520XP-C1B 520Watts Power Supply
ASPIRE X-CRUISE -BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
eVGA 256-P2-N386 Geforce 6800GS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

newegg.com puts me at: $869.66 for all that + $30 shipping...

Any compatability issues or items i might want to swap out for different brand/models?

Thanks!

You don't need a CD rom and a DVD burner. If you're 'copying' a disc from one to another like everyone always feels like they want, you can copy the files from the disc in your burning program, then insert your blank media for burning...

Ste has you covered for power supply.

I don't like ASRock motherboards... They're kinda sketchy. Maybe MSI or gigabyte?

Gigabyte board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128268

MSI Board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130491

Good build!

Ryan

If you get a separate DVD burner and CD Burner it will extend the Life of both since you would only use one or the other depending on what your burning. Also you can have 2 Game discs in at same time, thats why I bought 1 DVD burner and 1 CD burner,of course you can create virtual drives using 3rd party software but I didn't feel like doing that.

extend the life...? Why? They already live forever as it is, and you have to pay more for a second drive. People always want to throw away a few extra bucks there, and I'm trying to help them save it or invest it elsewhere.

Ryan

Ya right so your saying that if you mass burn CD's and DVD's in one drive that it won't shorten its life?

and no They don't all last forever that a misconception. Humans don't last forever and neither does anything we make.

Im just saying if he has the money theres no reason not to go separate.

lol... who said anything about mass production? You're guilty of the same exaggeration I used when I said they 'last forever.' I've never had one die in a computer that I bought new. Never.

Ryan

oh, and P.S. my way still saves him cash. If he buys one, and lasts his computer's lifetime, then bam, 20 more bucks in his pocket. If it doesn't, oh, then he's buying 2, just like he originally planned on.

Ok, so i'll take a look into new PS, and a diff mobo...

as for the 2 drives, i like the idea of having both drives, but it wasnt a definate thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom