secondary hard drive unreadable

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinityau

Beta member
Hello,

This may not be os related but maybe you can steer me in the right direction.

Noticed two issues about the same time, but don't
know if they are related.

1. Secondary Hard drive renamed to _n|(D:) via MS Explore. Did not have a name prior

2. Blue screen that reads:
Error Ensure failed. False (NilP(cPool))
D:\Ensure\devel\fcd\gen\GENCPP\poolmem.cpp

-------------------------------------------------
Drive says not ready, however drive space used via properties looks normal (almost full)

Need help to recover drive. Please advise. Also, is poolmem.cpp a virus ?

Dell Dimension XPS
Win 98 SE

Thanks in advance

Yes. Primary drive Ok. Win 98 SE Ok. Issue resides on secondary drive. Sorry for the confusion.

Shoot,, I was thinking you have XP and 98 SE installed...but you just have 98 SE. I would say reinstall 98. I cant seem to find the error anywhere. Do you have an XP cd?

Secondary drive only contains document files (.doc & .txt) and mp3's. Documents are work related and would like to recover. I can't find the error either...I've looked to.

Ok. Downloaded a few apps from MajorGeeks.com
Used Disk Investigator that looks at the raw data. Raw data does exist on the drive. Thats some good news.

Drive is not froze or hung.

Recover My Files app does show that files exist. I can't recover unless I purchase / register product for $69 bucks. Ouch.

Went to PCPitstop.com and checked out the disk health. Says drive has zero "used space".

Side note: Does NVIDEORO ring a bell? That was the drive name that I noticed. I had not given it that name. I removed the name.
Does the drive name need to be back to the original drive name in order to read the dada?

Can't spend money on software at this time. Looking for freeware.

thanks in advance

Why not try restoring that drive name and see what happens.???Nothing negative will happen to the data. You might want to give the drive to a friend who can install it in a windows xp system as a slave and then convert the existing files to NTFS and then save your data that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom