Windows Me "Restore Point"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayp

Solid State Member
My computer is running a 950 Duron 256 Ram 40Gb HD with Windows Me OS.
Can anyone advise me how to solve this problem ?
Windows System Restore will accept me making a `restore point` but will not restore to any point on the calendar displayed even though the dates are in bold.
My alternative but drastic thought is to buy a new computer. What say please.

Thanks Warez that I am in the process of arranging however I need to fix this before I flog it with its Windows Me intact.

No. This is exactly what happens. I click on the restore point date chosen and start the process. Within 4 seconds the screen goes black and stays that way forever. I have no control over the computer from this point, the mouse is dead but the computer light (green) shows it is still on. My only recourse is to press the reboot button which restarts the computer which goes into `scanDisk` then reloads. The System Restore programme comes back on saying " Restoration was unsuccessful. No changes have been made" This happens every time I try to restore. I have considered consigning it to my trash bin but I know you fellows are knowledgeable and clever. Thanks.

I have an original Microsoft OEM Windows Me CD unused but it is not the one used on the computer by the shop. I also have loaded in the computer by the shop, the version first installed and I have tried reloading with that one but to no avail.

I do appreciate your kind offer, hoever if I do load it I fear the loss of all my programmes most of which I have no discs for. Can I reload without losing programmes ??

can you back up the programs? like do you have the .exe files? if you do, judt burn them to a cd. if not, I cant remember if ME has a repair feature. The only way to see is if you boot from the cd and see if it asks you to repair a windows installation and if it does, you wont lose anything but i wouldnt trust it so you should backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom