Not sure whats up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graphic

Solid State Member
Ok, I've been in hell for the past few days and I still don't know what is up.

Basically all I had planned on doing was switching from one case to another.. simple right? Well ever since then I've had numerous problems.

To make a long story short.. I am to the point now where one of my hard drives won't read..and my cd-rw won't read. I can live with that.. My other 2 hard drives are reading and my dvd-rw is reading as well.

So I finally get it put back together thinking it was going to be fine now, minus the failed hard drive (I think at least) and cdrw. So I go to install windows and it starts loading the first screen (blue one) very slow.. all the dlls and what not. So after about 30 minutes of the first screen.. which it shouldn't take that long.. It finally gets to the point where you reboot and then you come to the configuration part of the install. However, mine decides to come to the screen 'reboot and select proper media device' .. or something to that effect.

IF I leave the cd in there while it reboots, it just comes back to the first install screen asking if u want to delete partition etc. Yet it shows the install i JUST did as part of the first drives partition.

So I am really in a bind because I have no idea what the hell is going on. I Don't understand why it would load so slow for one, and I was thinking maybe it was the hard drive..yet it shows the hard drive retaining all the information.

I was also thinking possibly it is the motherboard? But I have no idea.

Specs just incase..

Asus p4p800se
2.4ghz -.- slowness
3 hard drives..2 WD, 1 maxtor(trying to load os on)
dvd-rw,cd-rw
9800pro..

nothing to fancy but i just have no idea what is up..any help will be appreciated,

Thanks,

Ryan

hmm sounds like the slowness is being caused by the disk not being read correctly....and it going back to the other screen because the dvd-rw is first in the boot order and not the hdd

Well I tried the disk on my laptop, seems to work fine. Also, I did change the boot order just to see if that would make any difference, and it made none. (Although I took the install cd out, so it wouldnt go back to the install screen UNLESS I have the cd in there, and the dvd-rw as the first to boot.

I don't have any idea.. im stumped ;(

Ive ran into this problem a few times.I had to set the drives to cable slect insted slave and master. Also on my last build i was doing the same as you just changing cases and had this same problem on one of my puters.One of my disks wouldnt read in the drive but would on other computer.Also I had to pull out one of my 512 ram chips to get windows to install.It was doing the same thing as what your discribing. After it installed I put the ram back in and it was fine.Also try to reset your bios to default..

Is anything shorting out the motherboard? ie standoff in the wrong place or a screw that fell behingd the board at install. If eveything was working before the case swap i would look for a board unless you zapped something with a static charge when switching componets.

I'm pretty sure all the standoffs are in the right spot and all, however I will double check.. as to the post above that.. I'll try that as well..doesnt hurt to try I guess.

Thanks guys

Ryan

well i tried the things you suggested..nothing really changed on it. I have a gut feeling the mobo is bad though .. but I'd rather not go out and buy one if it isn't you know? Because if i do have to buy anything else im just gonna build something new..and that will end up being around 4k for what ill want -.-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom