I think this computer is about to explode!?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mersyone

Baseband Member
kay, so I've come to the conclusion that I DON'T know what the f&@% in doing. I told my friend I would help him restore his old Gateway computer as it was pretty messed up.
It was SO MESSED UP I couldn't even burn a backup of the original system/device drivers, etc. So during my attempt to restore, I did that "WDCLEAR" application from MS-DOS (you know, the one that writes zeros to the HD), rebooted,...BUT,...when I attempted to install Windows XP, I get a bluescreen error and it will not continue.

Oh yeah, btw; the original configuration was WINDOWS 98 and
I am trying to install Windows XP.

It's an old Gateway Select K7-650 w/ AMD Athlon processor...
the *original configuration:
http://support.gateway.com/support/srt/docs.asp?sn=0017944581

I did download some drivers from the Gateway and AMD website but it seems I'm still missing an important element.

The Hard Drive itself is estremely loud; soundz like it'z about to "croak!" I feel like the whole thing is about to blow-up!
I think it's corrupt. I can't find the HD volume anywhere in MS-DOS, It was a 20gb, but now it's saying there is only 8gb (apprx).

Can someone help me out! ANYONE!...
(how am I gonna explain this one to my friend)

i did, although;...which MS-DOS version should I be using. I formatted one with my winxp laptop, but it didn't have any fdisk options.

I even downloaded FDISK.exe and manually put that on a floppy as well but when I tried to partition it, I didn't have the option to format to NTFS.

QUESTION,...when you run the WDCLEAR through your HD, I know it writes nothing but 0's so does that mean it's pure RAW DATA foramat???

You can buy a quick install cd off of Ebay and make things easier.. will cost you about 9 bucks.. The blue screen from what i was told has to do with faulty memory correct me if im wrong anyone can other things cause the blue screen too..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom