Computer Just Died. Any Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingOfHearts

Baseband Member
I was working on my computer when all of a sudden the Blue Screen of Death appeared. It started doing a "memory dump" and I waited about 30 seconds and then I tried Crtl,Alt,Del and nothing happened so I just held the power button until it turned itself off. When I turn it back on, the computer starts just like normal, the power light comes on and the fans start up, but the monitor stays in standby mode, nothing ever comes up on the monitor. I have a second computer connected to this monitor via a KVM switch, so I know the monitor is fine. Any ideas what is wrong or how I can diagnose what the problem is? I mean if you can't see the screen, what can you do? Is is the motherboard or what? Thanks for any input.

Reseat the Video card and clear the CMOS.

If you can try that video card in another computer or try another video card in the computer that "died".

1. No, it does not beep

2. There is no video card, it is integrated into the mobo

3. How do I clear the CMOS?

Thanks.

Intergrated Graphics, Ouch.

Find a small coin like battery on your motherboard.

Carefully take it out for 1 -3 minutes, you may have to move a clip out of the way holding it in.

obviously your pc has to be turned off when you remove it. the plug may still be in at the wall but the power socket must be turned off otherwise the cmos may still be receiving power and removing the battery will have no effect. i would check that your ram is still seated properly and if you have more than one stick of ram try them seperately. to avoid frying the ram with static: leave the computer plugged in but turned off at the wall, touch the metal chassis of the computer every now and then or keep your arm against it or you could use a static strap.

Ya, I kinda hope you figured that one out. Humans + live Voltage don't mix. Computers componenst + static electricity also don't mix.

A quicker way is to move the jumpers on your motherboard that would reset the CMOS. But you gotta find those jumpers, its different for each motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom