Nvidia 6800GS AGP arrives next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
From theinquirer.net:
NVIDIA is fulfilling its promises and will start shipping its Geforce 6800 GS AGP cards next week. We already reported that Nvidia has a massive shortage of AGP chips and that it can not print enough 6600 based chips and bridge it back with HSI bridge chip. Its time for the new old card.

Unlike the 6800 GS PCIe, the AGP version will be based on good old NV40 chip and it will be native AGP card without any bridges. We still donÂ’t know about the clock speeds but we heavily suspect that it will have the same clocks as its PCIe brother.

The card will start at a similar price - we expect $249 - and you should see some Etailers listing these cards in the next few days.

ATI is happily shipping its X800 and X700 based AGP chips and it's expected that X1600 based AGP cards won't take to long after its PCIe brother. Nvidia still hopes to cash in the Yule AGP shopping madness.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28094

Yes, it is AGP. ANd, yes, AGP is being phased out. And, yes, everyone should stampede out and spend gobs of money to upgrade to PCI-E.

But not everyone wants to spend that much cash, and not everyone wants to have to reinstall Windows and lose everything on their drives.

Me, I'm glad the nVidia is still looking out for those who still have AGP boards, for we are many.

it only makes sense because it's basically the new budget price/performance card.

This will probably be the last you start to see of AGP....as far as losing all your data goes...that's what backups are for. Regardless of upgrading I personally wouldn't just rely on one single hard drive to keep all my data especially if you consider it important data which you obviously must if you don't want to upgrade and consider formatting and 'losing data' a negative impact.

Wow! i didn't see this comming! I figured that AGP is pretty much done for as far as new products are concerned. well, thats good news i guess because AGP 6800GT's are near-impossible to come by.

C'mon Nubius, you can't expect everybody who build a system last year with a 9800 Pro or X800 series to build a completely new system for PCI-E. Yes, is it the best thing to do? Sure...PCI-E is the future. But there are a lot of people who are still on AGP and don't want to change yet, and this product helps reach them.

I still think they should make a small number of AGP 7800 GT's though. the 7800 GT is a great card, which is relatively inexpensive, but a lot of people can't get one because they can't afford a new motherboard on top

C'mon Nubius, you can't expect everybody who build a system last year with a 9800 Pro or X800 series to build a completely new system for PCI-E. Yes, is it the best thing to do? Sure...PCI-E is the future. But there are a lot of people who are still on AGP and don't want to change yet, and this product helps reach them.
Hell I did it....and I'm far from rich...I even made mistakes like buying the bigwater, and accidentally buying an NF7-S2 instead of an NF7-S v2 before I knew too much about computers, so it's not like I had a lot of money to just through around and I still made the switch to PCI-E.

I agree with the 6800GS coming out in AGP though, never said it was a bad idea or anything.

Besides you don't need a completely new system in most cases....generally you'd just need a mobo and CPU to fit.....of course yeah if you JUST laid down a couple hundred on a graphics card then you kind of shot yourself in the foot which hell I did a couple times by getting a 6600GT agp, then stepping up to a 6800GT still AGP instead of making the switch just then....had to then sell that AGP for $200 when I paid a total of $400 for it and then had to get a PCI-E for $320

It's one of those things we shoulda prepared for...I fought PCI-E for a long time too, but then I just wanted to get it over with and I'm glad I did.

I still think the 7xxx series would be pointless to make in AGP...why drag it out even further. The switch needs to made simple as that.

This last couple of years though was pretty wacky....graphics port switches, 3 different sockets from AMD in the beginning, things like that didn't make computer building too much easier.

I think the 6800GS is the perfect card to end AGP though. It's a nice powerful card, for a good price.

the 7800 GTX (256 and 512) I agree should be PCI-E only. although the GT's I think would be good in small numbers in AGP. but AGP should definately be ruled out completely in the next series for sure.

hmm, that sucks, i just bought a DFI NF4 ultra-D and 7800GT WTF IS UP WITH THAT, i could have kept my old MSI K8N NEO2-PLATINUM and just sold my 9800pro.............

PZEROFGH said:
hmm, that sucks, i just bought a DFI NF4 ultra-D and 7800GT WTF IS UP WITH THAT, i could have kept my old MSI K8N NEO2-PLATINUM and just sold my 9800pro.............

but your set for future cards now...you won't have to upgrade :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom