Looking to upgrade...Or build new...

Status
Not open for further replies.

arejay

Baseband Member
Ok, I have myself a Dell Dimension 8200 from about 2001 I think...And yea, well it's time to go ;)

I do digital work (photo, artwork, post and pre-press work) mostly for fun and for some freelance jobs...Anywho, My computer has seen better days...And worst of all it's stuffed with RDRAM :(

I'm looking to either build a rig, or upgrade this one...I'm leaning more towards building a rig, simply because I am fascinated with computers, and have yet to build one in the 10 years I've been using them...

Here's my current specs on my Dell:

XP Home edition
Intel P4 2.0ghz
256mb RDRAM
40gb HD
GeForce 64mb video
soundblaster Live!

thats my base...as far as my chipset goes, hell if I know, i can't even fidn the paperwork for this computer anymore...Is there a way to find out what the exact models and types of components i have? I've checked system info, but nothing really comes up more-so than what I've listed above...

I'm looking for a high performance righ...capable of running photoshop and illustrator together, as well as maybe even other apps...

any help would be great!

download Everest to find out about your computers stuff -

http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en

and if I had that pc, I'd jut get more ram (512 to a gig+)

and a better video card (Geforce 6600GT or 6800GS(new budget performance card), or even 7800GTX)

and maybe another hard dirve for more storage, lol, I'm still useing my 40 and a 30

RDRAM is so friggin expensive though...I'd almost rather build a new system than upgrade just the ram hah

Ya, it's time for you to build a new computer, dont buy one from, just build one.

Definitely build a new computer. You can build good computers for not a whole lot of money so that would probably be your best route.

Ok So i'm going to build one...now here's what i'm looking for...

lots of ram (atleast 512mb, would like 1gb)
a moderate processor (obviously faster than 2.0ghz)
sweet video card (possibly with dual monitor support)
sound card, not too worried about

Now, since I'm new to all this, where would I start? Im guessing i would find my parts in this order:

mobo
processor
ram
video card
storage
sound card (maybe just use the one i have)

It's been years since I've thought of building one, so i'm unsure of where to look for chipset info etc...any help would be awesome!

toxicity_27 said:
Go to www.newegg.com and look for some parts. List your budget and we'll help you build one.

I'm on newegg.com now :)

so far i've got:

DFI LanParty nf4 SLI-DR socket 939 nvidia nforce sli-atx
amd athlon 64 3700+ san diego w/1ghz fsb
1gb (2x512) corsair 184pin ddr-sdram pc3200
western digital raptor 74gb 10,000rpm serial-ata

are these parts compatible?

and should i choose the geforce version of the DFI lanparty?

im looking at a 6800gt (256 or most likely 512) as a video card, but who's a good manufacturer? MSI? or...?

budget, im not sure...I'm going to pick and choose parts until I find a price I like...Most Likely i will put the whole thing on the CC anyways, so im not worried...my freelance work will pay it off in no time :)

PS I am reading the "building a system guide" posted here a a reference...helping me out alot already!

get the 6800gs over the 6800gt. they are practically the same in spec's but the gs is way cheaper. Otherwise it looks pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom