Is it better to have...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flanker said:
How will a Dual Core CPU help you in UT2K7?

Well... Since the Unreal Engine is designed to take advantage of Dual Core CPU's, and Unreal 2007 uses the UE3 engine. It's pretty safe to say that having a Dual Core vs. Single Core CPU for UT2007 is an advantage. Plus, the UE3 engine is being licensed like crazy to several Game Dev. Companies. PC as well as Console.

Also, "rumor" has it that (Edler Scrolls: Oblivion will be the first game on the market that takes advantage of dual cores.)

Also... If you're still not convinced that dual cores will be supported in games... Why? Oh Why? Would AMD be releasing an FX-60 Dual Core gaming processor? Because, games won't support it and they hope people won't buy the processor?

Dual Cores & Multi Core processors are the future. They are working on a freakin' Quad Core Desktop Processor for heaven sakes...

New Hardware Technology is designed to support new software technology. So... If you're seeing new Dual Core Hardware technology... chances are that new Software technology is right around the corner...

I.E ---- Dual Core Support in Applications & Games.

On a slightly different note: Check this out!
What's next?
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20051108220829.html

You still haven't told me HOW its going to help in games. All you've said is that it supports Dual Core. But how will Dual-Core help?

And Intel's Quad-Core is a Server processor, not desktop.

And what does Quad Vid Cards have to do with Dual Core?

I think it helps by assigning different proccesses to different cores, like having physics, particles, and other things to one core and having the rest like AI assigned to the other core. I think that is how it works.

Flanker said:
You still haven't told me HOW its going to help in games. All you've said is that it supports Dual Core. But how will Dual-Core help?

And Intel's Quad-Core is a Server processor, not desktop.

And what does Quad Vid Cards have to do with Dual Core?

lol - Flanker do you really need an explaination to why dual cores will benefit in games once games are designed to utilized dual cores? I mean seriously? Do you think i'm just posting this stuff and don't know what i'm talking about? Well, actually... I know you think I don't know what i'm talking about because you've said that like 10 times in these forums. But, that doesn't bother me because no matter what I say, you're going to go against it anyway. You just like to fight and debate over everything. No matter what I post you'll argue with me. So to prove my point here it goes.

While the concept of multiple processors sounds very appealing, there is a major caveat to this ability. In order for the true benefits of the multiple processors to be seen, the software that is running on the computer must be written to support multithreading. Without the software supporting such a feature, threads will be primarily run through a single processor thus degrading the efficiency.

Thankfully, all of the major current operating systems have multithreading capability. But the multithreading must also be written into the application software. Most of the applications that the average user runs currently do not have this. As a result, any speed benefits will solely be from the operating system being able to separate applications between the processors.

A good example to explain this is to look at a typical PC game. Most games require some form of rendering engine to display what is happening in the game. In addition to this, there is some sort of artificial intelligence to control the computers controlled events in the game. With a single processor, both of these must function by switching between the two. This is not necessarily efficient. If the system had multiple processors, the rendering and AI could each run on a separate processor. This looks like an ideal situation for a multiple processor.

As games become more complex and demanding, multithreaded game engines are critical in game design as developers will have the ability to code specific portions of games, such as physics and artificial intelligence, to individual threads. With multi-core processors and Hyper-Threading Technology enabled processors, each logical core can handle specific threads individually, balancing the load over different logical cores, while increasing realism and richness in next-generation games.

The problem is that games, like most applications, are not designed to take advantage of the multiple processors. As a result, both the rendering and AI happen on a single processor leaving the second processor essentially unused. As a result, a multiple core PC will not have any speed benefit. If the game is designed with multiple threads, then a dual-core processor would be advantageous over a single processor.

I.E "Unreal Tournament 2007 and every game that will use the Unreal Engine 3." & "Elder Scolls: Oblivion"

Intels Quad Core CPU is a server processer and not a desktop CPU? And do you tell that to all those that are putting OPTERONS in their Desktops too?

I believe I said, "on a slightly different note" which means it's different from what were were talking about. I just wanted to show how technology is advancing. Sorry to confuse you.

I believe this is where YOU would type: "OWNED"

Go ahead... This is where you start to argue with me....

HAVOC2k5 said:
lol - Flanker do you really need an explaination to why dual cores will benefit in games once games are designed to utilized dual cores? I mean seriously? Do you think i'm just posting this stuff and don't know what i'm talking about?

Yes. I DON'T think you know what you're talking about. Which is why I argue. Are you aware (probably not) that every videocard out there bottlenecks every processor out there at some point or another? It wouldn't matter if you were running a game divided over 2 different processors, or on one faster processor, the bottleneck would be at the same point.

Granted, in an environment where there is no videocard to bottleneck (also known as a Pure Speed environment) the Dual Core would far out-perform the Single Core processor. However, games are an entirely different arena.

A graphics card is a very strong bottleneck. Its not like the FSB or HyperTransport Bus which doesn't affect the processor's actual performance.

HAVOC2k5 said:
Intels Quad Core CPU is a server processer and not a desktop CPU? And do you tell that to all those that are putting OPTERONS in their Desktops too?

How many people do you see buying Opteron 800s for their desktops? This is again why I think you don't know what you're talking about, like most people on this forum. :p Single-Core and Dual-Core desktop processors already existed before the Opteron craze started. Thus, it wasn't a very big change to go from Athlon 64s to Opterons since they are virtually the EXACT same processor, and the price is also very compareable in most cases. Now you tell me how many people would've been "running around with Opterons" if they didn't overclock well. Also think about this; How many people do you see running around with Intel Xeon processors?

The Woodcrest (Intel's Quad-Core Server processor) is just that - Quad Core. The Desktop processor, Conroe, is a Dual-Core processor. The difference is like Athlon 64 X2s and Opteron 800s. Not only is one much more powerful, it also costs a fortune. I doubt people will see the need for a Quad-Core processor if there is nothing like that for the actual desktop like there were with the Athlon 64s.

HAVOC2k5 said:
I believe I said, "on a slightly different note" which means it's different from what were were talking about. I just wanted to show how technology is advancing. Sorry to confuse you.

You don't need to tell me, I know exactly how fast technology advances. And its not THAT fast. Dual-SLI is UTTER CRAP :).

Of course no one needs a Quad Processor currently. It is only if you have many people requesting programs such as web apps off your server and such.

Tyler1989 said:
Of course no one needs a Quad Processor currently. It is only if you have many people requesting programs such as web apps off your server and such.

Exactly, thats why Opteron 800s and the future Woodcrests are SERVER processors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom