A few questons

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheatinjory32

Solid State Member
At christmas i am going to upgrade my pc. I need to buy a Motherboard and Videocard. I was wondering if you guys could make some recommendations. I will likely have about $200 to spend. The motherboard needs to be socket 478 and U-ATX formfactor (I have contacted HP about my case and they said if i want buy a new motherboard it would have to be uatx), I would also like it to have a PCI-E slot. I want the best videocard in my price range sense i would like to do some pretty heavy gaming.

Current Specs:

Intel Celeron 2.7GHz
768 PC-2100 Memory
EVGA nVidia Geforce4 4000 128

Any help will be a appreciated :)

1) never heard of U-ATX how about M-ATX?

2) there is only like one mobo with pcie16 for s478 and its like an asrock which is pretty bad

3) either upgrade your cpu also, or stick with AGP

or as i would do if i were you, save up to do a whole extreme computer makeover

What agp motherboard and videocard should i get then. M-ATX could be fine i will ask hp. I am satisfied with my current ram and CPU so i dont want an entire new PC.

It needs to be socket 478 becuase my current CPU is s478.

$200 is not going to buy much if you need a motherboard and video card. I agree you should save for a complete overhaul.

Depending on what games you play you may be happy with the performace of a 5500FX 256MB (about $60). Play on that until you have more money to work with.

agreed. You're not going to find a s478 motherboard that supports PCIe and it still be a quality board. AGP is about as good as you'll do. I'd suggest getting an AGP card unless all you have are PCI slots. I think the best you'll do is an FX5500 series, like Chef said.

Ryan

The reason i am upgrading is becuase all i have PCI.

Wouldent something like this work?

ASRock P4Dual-915GL Micro ATX - $62
Radeon X800GTO - $139

OR

ASUS P4S8X-MX Socket 478 SIS 661GX - $53
Geforce 6600GT - $139

Newegg has a FX5500 256MB PCI card for $83

I would personaly take this route. Both mobos your suggesting are getting mixed reviews. Also it seems that those companys do not have great support.

Either route you take,FX5500 or your picks, will most likely have you looking to upgrade again in a year or less.

With this being said, I would take the cheaper option of the new PCI video card.

Ok, thanks guys.

What kinds of games could I play with the FX5500 256MB? Could it play games like HL2, COD2, Far Cry on medium settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom