Stop: 0x0000007E Pci.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibnz320

Solid State Member
I'm sure you've all heard about this before and I probably could have done more searching to find a thread on this topic. I'm building a computer with the DFI Lanparty 925X-T2 m/b and a Radeon X600XT pci-E graphics card. I've found where some people run into this same problem I'm getting, which is an error screen during windows xp installation. The message displayed is:

Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF78350BF, 0xF7C81208, 0xF7C80F08)

Pci.sys - Address F78359BF Base at F782E000, Datestamp 3b7d855c

I've heard that I'd have to disable pci-E and use a pci graphics card during the install and upgrade of windows and then re-enable pci-E. I've also seen where others never had any problems installing windows xp onto a system similar to mine. I'm using a corporate edition of Windows XP Pro. Is there a way to get through this install without having to buy another video card?

Well i have Windows XP Pro and i have PCI E. There is something in the drivers and the cab files of the disc that allows me to install XP Pro onto my system with no problems. If you are using an older XP Disc (which i am guessing you are) that doesnt support SATA, orPCIE then the only option i can say is to either download and slipstream the drivers onto the disc (which might not work) or get ahold of a newer version of XP. A version that has the SATA and PCIE drivers already on them.

You may want to pick up a suuuuper cheap PCI card for no more than 20$ to install the OS on. I have the same xp pro corporate version.

I would follow Makaveli213's advice and use nlite to slipstream that driver into the xp cd

Thanks for the help. I ended up calling a guy I know at a local computer repair shop and he let me use the shop and a pci card to do the install. I'd still like to know more about how to slipstream the drivers to the disk so I don't have to go through the trouble again when I'm ready for a clean os. My xp disk is sp1....is there a way to upgrade the cd to sp2? Maybe the same way Makaveli213 said to put drivers on the disk?

Yes if you download SP2 and slipstream it using Autostreamer or nlite you can make you XP disc up to date. If you download all the current updates you take take it all the way up to date. But be farwarned. Adding all of the updates will make the install large.

Other than taking up more space on your hard disk...is there any downsides to having a large os install? Considering these components would be downloaded and installed on the system anyway, I don't see why I wouldn't want to install an up-to-date version of the os to begin with.

just slipstream it to sp2 and install your pci driver and you will be all right. wait for service pack 3 for your next slipstream

as for adding you driver to nlite, I'm going to assume that ati download is like nvidia's

get winrar. install it.

right click your ati.exe setup file after, you put it in it's own folder (named Ati Pci-E Driver). choose extract here. if it extract to a lot of files and you see your driver .inf file then you are done. if it extract to just a couple of files, right click the new setup.exe and choose extract here again. now you show see the driver .inf file.

open nlite (make sure that your xp cd is in the cd rom). open that xp cd. nlite will copy all of the file to your hard drive. check the load last session box. check the add new drivers part. head to that ati folder and select that ati driver inf file let it load and save that seesion.

open nlite again. choose make an iso file. when it is done, burn the iso to cd (alcohol or nero)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom