what is the difference b/w all these mother boards???and CPUs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawan AbuSalman

Daemon Poster
Im kind of new in this domain (building pcs and parts...)

I was taking a look at the intel website and while i was browsing their mother boards; i found that there are tens of boards but couldnt get the difference between them!

(intel 945...955........)

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboard/index.htm

what is the difference between them?

I was planning on purchasing a MB and a CPU....but im not quite familiar whith how the process goes;

the mb should be compatible with the CPU im planning on buying or what? and does a cpu work on a variaty of mbs or just 1?

when purchasing a cpu; what should i look for? (beside the freqeuncy....and what exactly is the frequency?? i know the higher it is, the faster is the PC...??

and what exactly is Hyper Threading (HT)??

thanx

a celeron is like a stripped down P4...

and to be compatable a processor and motherboard has to have the same socket type, and appropriate FSB...

frequency is how many clock cycles it makes in a set amount of time...

speaking of which, I'd recomend looking into AMD Processor and Motherboards, rather than intel...

sorry if I didn't answer all your questions, I'm not sure exactly what HT is... and I'd rather not go through each motherboard to see the differences...

thank you for your reply...

(i didnt mean to go through each mb; i didnt even open exept 2 or 3...) but they all seem the same to me;
for example;
http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d945psn/index.htm

and this
http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d955xcs/index.htm

(or any 2) the seem to be the same, more or less...so why the price difference?

and to be compata ble a processor and motherboard has to have the same socket type, and appropriate FSB...

sorry...didnt get that....what is socket type and what is FSB??

frequency is how many clock cycles it makes in a set amount of time...
how does that affect the speed of the computer?? the more cycles, the faster the pc...??

thanx again...

well... those two motherboards are fairly similar, but one can handle more ram and has better processor support...

Socket types - http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?postid=617443#post617443

so... if you were to get a motherboard that supports a 400MHz fsb, then to use it to its full potential get a processor that has a 400MHz fsb...

FSB, = Front side bus... like 133, 266, 333, and so on... although intel processors often have higher clock frequencies and higher fsb, AMD finds ways to do more with one cycle thus makeing lower numbers run just as well or better than intels, and that's why I'd recomend amd over intel.

so... Intel P4 @ 3.0Ghz = AMD @ 2.0Ghz

so you recomend amd?? do all other acccessories that one would buy for an intel board work on amd??

where did you read about the fsb in the links?? what exactly do they do? (i read 800 mhz bus...is that it...? what is the bus?)

i know that in when buying RAM, the frequency should be the same....

what exactly should i look for when buying mb and cpu?

thanx again...

(whats the differece bw 400 mhz ddr and 333mhz...???

if the boards supports both, then you can install any of the 2 models...does it matter if it is 1 of each (ie, 1 of 400 and 1 of 333)

about that 800mhz fsb, that's an intel thing..., like I said, amd has made there processors work better at lower speeds...

and by accessories, you mean like cd/dvd drives, hard drives, video cards, sound cards, etc...

yes... those will all work... there are other details to look into when buying these parts...

but you should start with a case,... then a motherboard and power supply to fit... then the ram and processor...(and heatsink for the processor) then start adding "accessories"

and as for what to look for when buying... first, are you planing on doing this soon, whats your budget..?

I'm not an expert on the newest and best hardware... I'd suggests doing a search (use the search at the top of the screen or in my signature)

Rawan AbuSalman said:
(whats the differece bw 400 mhz ddr and 333mhz...???

if the boards supports both, then you can install any of the 2 models...does it matter if it is 1 of each (ie, 1 of 400 and 1 of 333)

EX: if you have a motherboard that has two ram slots (the motherboard supports 400Mhz)

you put a 400Mhz stick of ram in one slot and a 333 in the other...

the 333 will underclock the 400 to 333

basically a computer will only go as fast as its slowest componet...

edit: this is similar for processors, if the motherboard only supports 266 fsb, and you put a 400fsb processor in it, it will be underclocked to 266

oh...i see..

but functionality wise...what is the difference between 400 and 333 (saying we have 2 400s or 2 333s)?

what i meant by accessories is ram or hd or pci cards....(anything that plugs in the board...)

i dont have a big budget...and i only want to buy board/cpu/ram/case...as you can see from my sig, i have a p3, 598 mhz which is KILLING me!!! and i recently bought the laptop so i dont have much of a budget...but im trying to see if it wont cost alot, then ill try getting them soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom