Computer Running Slow After Inactivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyGalaga

Beta member
WinME Dell Dimention 1.5 GHz 60 Gigabites 512 Megabites

When I boot the machine it starts off working fine. After about 4-5 minutes of inactivity, the computer then runs noticeably slower and has a very uneven mouse movement. It doesn't do this as long as I keep doing something on the computer such as move the mouse, play a game, look at files or anything at all. Sometimes I'll get a small hour glass next to a smaller than usual mouse pointer, and the hour glass never goes away.

Oddly enough, if I run a simple DOS program, then the computer goes back to normal, but only for about 1-2 minutes after terminating the DOS program, even if the computer is not sitting idle (in other words, even if I'm doing stuff or moving the mouse or something).

When the computer slows down like this, even if I hit CNTRL+ALT+DEL to see what programs might be running (and shutting those programs down), the computer still runs slowly.

I have run scandisk, disk defrag, and spybot search and destroy with no improvement. When I attempt to do a system restore to an earlier time point it doesn't work. I get to a point where the system restore program freezes up and I can't even X out of it. All I can do is restart the computer.

Any suggestions as to what I can do ?

Thanks !

I'm guessing Windows XP?

Try repairing your windows partition, by booting off of the cd.

The51 said:
I'm guessing Windows XP?

I have Windows ME.

Try repairing your windows partition, by booting off of the cd.

My Windows partition ? Sorry, I don't know what that is . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom