Cannot connect to internet at home....help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soapstreet

Beta member
OK, Here is my situation. I am moving into a new home. My computer connected to the internet at my old home fine. Now when I try to connect, it tells me that the remote computer is not responding. I have tried about 10 different access numbers and even another ISP (Netzero). I noticed that sometimes when it says "dialing".... it stops and a popup windows says that there has been a hardware failure with my modem. But here is the thing. When I have it dial the 1-800 # to get access #'s, it will connect fine and DL the access #'s like normal. But when I try to dial up to the internet, it will give me the erroe like before. Here are my specs:

Windows XP PRO
2.66GHz P4 512mb RAM
240GB HD.
ISP is Earthlink

I called there tech support and the Asin lady I talked to didn't know her butt from a hole in the ground and suggested that since the 1-800 # worked for me, I should use the 1-800 # for dial up internet. But it is 10 cents per minute. What an idiot.

Should I uninstall the modem and reinstall it and all the drivers? I just don't understand why it worked with the 1-800 #.

Can someone help me with some suggestions? Please don't tell me to get DSL. I can't get it in my area yet. That sucks!

i would make sure the dialing properties are correct. especially the area code. it might be trying to dial a different area code. (if you moved far enough)

after that, try a reinstall on the modem.

If that doesn't work try another modem.
They're pretty cheap; like $10.

good luck... :)

I agree with hercules, modems are a dime a dozen, defintely try a re-install first, if that doesn't work don't pull your hair out, just buy a new one.

I uninstalled it along with all of the drivers and reinstalled it into a different COM port. I still got the same errors as beofre. Actually it connected 1 time but would not pull anything up. It didn't even receive any mail for me. I will buy a new modem today and post results. Thanks for the replies!

OK, I bought another modem and installed it after uninstalling the other one. Now it seems like when the system is idling, it is constantly thinking. Or making the noise from the hard drive. Kinda sounds like it is doing a virus scan or something, only it is just idling. When I check the CPU usage by doing ctrl+alt+del it is around 80-100%. I did a virus scan after updating Norton and found nothing. I also did a spyware scan and found nothing. It just bugs me that there is that much CPU being used while idling. Can someone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom