cant update windows :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdan

Daemon Poster
i cant update windows xp to sp2 because it says my version isnt legal or something along those lines (i got this computer from someone else). now im thinking of what my options are. i happen to ahve a version of win xp professioanl. is that similar to the alternative whatever thats called (home version maybe)? i ask because my computer is a P3-550 and 5 years old. its been running xp OK all this time, will it be able to handle xp pro? please do let me know :)

ps: if i buy xp do i have to reinstall in order to be able to update, or can i just take its serial and insert it somewhere into the windows i already ahve installed?

thanks!
Dan

have u tried downloading SP2 from a non microsoft site...and installing it that way ???

ummm nooo im not aware of how to do that? of course i dont really have internet access from that computer (tahts the erason i need sp2) but i can maybe get it at the labs and download it then install from cd or disk. can u give details?

slipstream sp2 and it will go thru.....

huh?

thanks guys!

XPsp 1 and 2 has a list of well know illegitimate keys so it checks and see's before you install it. Slipstream works fine but you cant download anything from MS site due to the genuine activation they have. Instead of formatting and reinstalling try and find a key that works and change it.

Editing the registry
Begin by opening the Registry Editor and navigating to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents

In the right pane, right-click the ODBETimer binary value and select Modify. Change at least one character of this value to either a number from 0 to 9 or to a letter from A to F, then click OK and close the Registry Editor. This renders the current product key invalid and deactivates Windows.

Now, itÂ’s time to reactivate Windows using your new product key. Click Start | Run and enter the command:
%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe /a

where %systemroot% is your Windows directory. In many cases, this command will look like:
C:\windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

At this point, Windows will launch the Product Activation Wizard.

I have used an illegal key before and used autostreamer and it worked and i was able to update with microsofts website. But if I tried to slip stream using th cmd prompt, it wont work, tells me my key is wrong but if I install windows regulary, it also works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom