Which X-Fi??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, all these games sound like ass on my Live! CoD2 for example sounds better in the Miles 2D positional Audio mode, than EAX 3.0. Same with every other game except SCCT and FEAR (which sadly doesn't sound much better aside from 5.1 support). I'm hoping to get an XtremeMusic sometime soon.

Oh well, At least my Live! is better than onboard and at least it supports EAX.

LOL if anybody is in the market for a new sound card, DO NOT GET AN AUDIGY. They have been replaced with the X-fi series which is 24 times more powerful than an Audigy 2, and it has all kinds of new features like EAX 5.0, 24 bit crystalizer, improved CMSS 3D (which totally kicks ass), and all kinds of other things. Get at least an X-fi XtremeMusic on newegg for $117. Or if you use pricegrabber you can find it for as low as $106.

003 do you already have the Fatal1ty FPS or are you getting it?

The only thing I really hate about it is the ribbon cable it comes with to attach the Front Panel to the Card. They could have freakin' thought about using a rounded cable instead. I mean, Fatal1ty = Gamer = Gamers will buy this version of the card = gamers usually MOD their cases and care about Airflow???

HELLO CREATIVE... WAKE UP!!!!

I guess you could mod it yourself... But, hell... I'm not going to make cuts into a ribbon cable and shrink wrap it... I guess elastic bands would do the trick too... ???

Yes I got it. I don't personally like the ribbon cable either, but now in FEAR the annoying crackling that I used to get with the Audigy2 and hardware mixing enabled is gone! Also, I have a question, there is a floppy power connector on the sound card and on the thing that goes in the drive bay. So far I only have the one in the drive bay pluggged in because I don't have enough floppy connectors. It seems to be working fine, do I need the one on the sound card plugged it? Also, I have been reading how good the CMSS 3D is on the X-Fi cards, how do I properly enable it? I have it enabled in Stereo Surround mode, with that slider at the default setting, is that what you are susposed to do? Oh yeah, I have now set sound quality to maximum in FEAR, which uses 96 sounds instead of 64, and in the preformance test I have actually gained 2 FPS! You can enable that in advanced computer settings.

When I get home I'll take a looking inside my PC and check it out. I only remember hooking up the Front Panel to a Floppy Molex. I don't remember if I hooked up the card? I'll check later and post.

CMSS 3D is great for non-Surround Headphones. It creates an excellent surround field with standard headphones... You get simulated positional sound in games. It's also upmixes any MP3 or other media audio file and allows you to listen to it in 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 Surround.

003 do you play Battlefield 2?

I tried te BF2 demo once, but I couldn't get it to start. I mainly play FEAR and UT2004. I know what CMSS 3D is, but what are the best settings for it to get surround sound in stereo headphones? There are different settings you can choose for it.

You couldn't get BF2 to start? Or you couldn't get BF2/X-fi Settings to start? With you're PC BF2 should run fantastic? If you're running a firewall, you need to manually configure BF2 in the firewall. IF it's the BF2/x-fi Settings you're talking about, then you need to do the following.

Set the X-fi mode to GAMING - First... Then log-in to BF2, Then change the Setting to x-fi....Then change the setting to ULTRA. This is the only way it works. The x-fi ultra settings only work in GAMING mode. And that needs to be set first. Sometime's i'll start BF2 in entertainment mode and when I login to BF2 i have no sound and the settings say AUDIO_SETTING. I have to close BF2 then change to gaming then log back in. Kinda Sucks...

FOR CMSS 3D settings I leave the slider at "Stereo Xpand" I guess this gives you more of a virtual surround feel. And Stereo Surround is a duplication of sound to each speaker. For games though I think it should be turned off when using speakers. For headphones I guess "Stereo Xpand" is the best option..? Not sure though?

My Headphones are Zalman Theater 6's and they are very good surround head phones... So, i leave my settings at 5.1 and everything else just as it would be with my z-5500's.

I'll check my crappy pair of headphones when I get home is about 20 minutes and post back and let you know. Also, i'll check the floppy connecter thing you were talking about earlier... Because i'm kinda interested in what I did... Since I can't seem to remember... Getting old sucks....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom