Can not use "regedit" from the run command in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

cantes903

Solid State Member
Whenever I try and use the "regedit" command from the run line in the start menu using Windows XP I get the error that says "The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. Then a line of letters and codes and it says to choose 'close' to terminate the program." If I choose close or ignore it closes anyway.
The only help I have found was at Microsoft.com and it was talking about using the install disk and going to the run line and inputting another code. Well, my computer came from a rent to own place and already had XP installed. So I don't have the install disk.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Here is a screen shot of the error:

doserror.gif

It should be launching a .exe file not a .com file..thats odd. Can you manually browse to the regedit.exe file and launch it that way? You should find it here

C:\WINDOWS\regedit.exe

I sounds like malware. Some thing may have changed the file extension of regedit to stop it from running, so something can't be found. I'd run AV and anti-spyware and maybe post a Hijack This log in the Virus\spyware section.

go to C:\windows\system32, arrange icons by type, and delete all the .com files except for:
command.com
diskcomp.com
diskcopy.com
edit.com
format.com
graftabl.com
graphics.com
loadfix.com
tree.com
win.com

i think i have a similar problem as well, i type "regedit" and nothing happens

but i type "regedit.exe" and the registry editor appears

Tried your suggestions

Win2kpatcher said:
It should be launching a .exe file not a .com file..thats odd. Can you manually browse to the regedit.exe file and launch it that way? You should find it here

C:\WINDOWS\regedit.exe

I am able to launch regedit.exe that way.

As for malware, I do frequent scans and nothing is found but I'm gonna try again and post the HJThis log.

Thanks for the replys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom