Computer will not startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

last_resort

Beta member
I have an emachine T1840. This computer is only used basically for word processing and accounting. It is not hooked up to the internet and is plugged into a power surge protector. Recently the computer just stopped powering on. There was no lights no beeping and none of the fans were turning on. I read in other forums that emachines are known to have faulty power supplies. So I purchased a replacement power supply and installed it. I plugged in the new power supply and without turning on the computer. The power supply fan turned on, lights in the front of the computer turned on but the processor fan did not. I did notice that the harddrive did not make any noice but the dvd rom could open when you press the eject key. the cd drive would not open when you press the eject key. Here are the specs in case that helps.

emachine t1840
Windows xp home edition
1.80 ghz intel celeron processor
40gb hard drive ultra DMA
128 MB DDR

If the computer is dead can I still save the information on the hard drive?

Please help.
:( :(

Thanks apokalipse for your input. I thought it might be the motherboard but I don't see any physical signs or smelled anything burnt when I opened the computer. Correct me if I am wrong but if the motherboard is fried. I wouldn't be able to see any signs of life in the computer. Also wouldn't a power surge be the cause of the motherboard going out. if so wouldn't the power surge protector catch the powersurge before getting to the computer.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Look for a color led on the mobo, if its green you good, if red or orange or not lit its fried. MUST BE PLUGED IN TO SEE!

~Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom