mixing psu and case brands

Status
Not open for further replies.

quick123

Solid State Member
is it okay if i get a thermaltake tsunami case/ and put an Antec 500w HE in it?? does anyone know what type of connectors that psu comes with

thanks

1. You'll find all kinds of mix between cases and power supplies. My new build is a a Thermaltake case with an Antec PSU.

2. You got the right idea with the 500w but if I am not mistaken that particular model is with modular cables and I have been told to stay away from modular PSUs. For 2 to 4 bucks more you can get an Antec power supply such as this:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=270024

Probably the single most important thing to keep in mind about the PSU, besides reliabilty of the manufacturer, is what does it supply on it's 12v rails. I first learned about this all important aspect over at computerforums.com, specifically thier writing entitled, "PSU 101." I strongly suggest you read it. You see, you can have a power supply claiming it gives out 500 watts but if its rails fail to give the proper power where needed, so what. You'll be unpowered. And with today's hardware, especially for gaming, the PSU is crucial. Too many people cut corners here and as many people have told me the PSU is the backbone to all the rest.

Enermax, Fortran, Antec are to name a few. You can spend more if you'd like. They're out there.

most cases and PSU's are ATX. most PSU's will work in most cases.

you can use any old cheap case, but you need a good PSU. cheap cases that come with PSU's... use the case, but throw out the PSU.

Notice the lil ploy there though; the '550w' psu they have listed is the maximum wattage, not the continuous wattage. Continuous is prolly around 450-500 then, kinda bothers me how they don't have that listed. Antec though is a good psu. There's also a guide written by Static_11 in the "building, buying, upgrading for high performance pc's" forum that has a good section on psu's written by ste. check it out if you want more info :)

cheap cases that come with PSU's... use the case, but throw out the PSU.

well said :amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom