srchasst, WinSxS???

Status
Not open for further replies.

s10237

Baseband Member
srchasst, WinSxS
What are these two folders?
I have goolged them to death. I reformatted recently and this is the first time I have seen these 2 folders, so I don't figure their system folders. I can't delete them and no spyware program can pick them up. Any info or help would be much appreciated.

did you instal visual c++ 2005? If you did, thats the folder that it stores the run time libraries.

and srchasst is/should be the windows search assistant. Ive got it it c:\windows

Warez Monster said:
did you instal visual c++ 2005? If you did, thats the folder that it stores the run time libraries.

and srchasst is/should be the windows search assistant. Ive got it it c:\windows

Nah, I didn't install visual c++. Windows Search Assistant? I never had it before. In the WinSXS folder I got a bunch the same folder it looks like.

What about Office? That is the folder where you dictionary and some other files are stored. I have that folder also and it has my Office stuff along with some other apps. So srchasst is jsut a folder where common files for windows search are placed. The Windows search assistant is on the start menu. We all have it. Some just never use it.
As for the WinSxS folder that is the folder that is installed for Windows Side by Side sharing. Here is an article about it:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...es_for_side_by_side_sharing_on_windows_xp.asp

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom