noob help!! upgrading ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesi00

Solid State Member
i tried upgrading my brothers old hewlett packard 8754c pavilion , it has 2 slots and the most it can support is 512mb of ram. so i bought a 256 and i left the 64 it had already, the problem is when i put the 256 in it worked fine, i connected the computer in my room because i have cable internet and i wanted to update my bro's computer , when i was done i disconnected it and plugged it in my bros room. this is where the problem started, i got some sort of error message saying it wasnt reading the memory, i dont know the exact message but somewhere along those lines, so i tried swithing them around(64 and 256) and still didnt work. the computer would boot then freeze, so i just took out the 256 and left the regular 64 it came with and it works again... can anyone help me? why doesnt it want to work anymore?? any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

yeah, I'm gonna say that you should leave the 256 in there by itself. The extra 64 isn't going to make a difference.

Ryan

even though the 64 and the 256 where both in at one time and it was funtioning???

if someone can help me , or guide me to fixing this problem i'll paypal u 20 buck, it ain't much but i need this computer working asap. Thanks

Try this, since it did work once it should work again. Turn off the Computer Unplug it from power, open your case and make sure your grounded or touch any metal object such as the frame before touching the memory sticks but dont touch the hardware prior to that. Unlock the memory clamps and remove both sticks of the memory. Place the 64MB stick in first like it was before you installed the 256MB stick. Than try the computer out to make sure it works if it does fine go ahead and turn it off propery and unplug it from power. Install the 256MB stick just like you did the last time that it worked, make sure that the memory sticks are pressed down and that the locks clamp completely, double check to make sure that they are seated correctly. Connect the computer in your bro's room and turn it on hopefully it will work. If not try to flip the memory around and see if it works. Lastly if all above fails try the 256MB stick out by itself and see if it works. If the 256MB works fine than keep it. If it doesnt than you bought the wrong one but that would be strange since your saying that it did work that one time. Show me the money!

this is the exact message i get:

640k ram passed
318m Extended Ram Passed
256 cache sram passed
system bios shadowed
video bios shadowed
umb upper limit segment address: e7b3
fixed disc 0: quantum fireball1ct15 30
system configuration data updated
error
0232: extended ram failed at offset 1b

~gasp~

I worked on an old hp with a similar message...

go into the bios and disable the system and video bios shadow, that worked for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom