VDSL causes system to freeze up...help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechthor

Solid State Member
Hello,

I just upgraded, well everything is new but the monitor, keyboard and mouse. So I guess I should say I just built a system with all new components as follows:

Case = Cooler Master Centurion 5
Powersupply = Coolmax ATX 450w
Video = eVGA GeForce 6800 128mb AGP
Harddrive = Maxtor Ultra Series 100gb 8mb cache
Memory = Geil 1024mb PC3200 DDR 400MHz 2X512
Motherboard = MSI K8N NEO2-F Socket 939
Processor = AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
CD ROM = HP 16X DVD Double Layer Burner

The problem I am having is the same when I run XP PRO or XP Home Edition. My Pro version is with out sp1 or 2, the home version has sp1.

They both install ok and seem to boot ok. After that things start to freeze up when I try to open a window or try to load a driver from the CD rom.

I have posted before and followed the advice given,but nothing help. Then I (for some reason) booted up with out connecting the cable for my VDSL connection and the system seemed to run fine. So I left in disconnected and the system still has not froze up. Now this is just the cable disconnected the Lan is still active and drivers still loaded. I then disabled the onboard LAN and installed a PCI LAN card. Again systems runs fine untill I plug in the cable for my VDSL (QWEST in Phoenix Arizona). With it pluged in I can only go a very sort time before the system hangs and sometimes it boots to the windows screen and just sits there trying to load the rest of the way, with very, very slow harddrive activity. I am trying to get some tech help from Qwest but untill then I thought someone here might be able to help...please help!!

Thanks
keith

I'm going to guess that you might have been infected with something. run a few scans and see what you can find. Also, flush your DNS resolver cache. Ipconfig /flushdns
see if that does anything for you. Check your host file as well. Should only have "127.0.0.1 localhost " Listed....
Are you behind a router? if not, get one.
Do you get an IP when you do boot up?

Well no, I figured if it was freezing with the onboard lan and still freezed when I tried it with a pci lan card that it was not a problem with the slot I used. But, I will give it a try, you never know....thx

The cable is too long for me to replace without having to have one made. But, I use the same cable and pci lan card on this system with no problem! Is it possible that my new system can have a problem with the cable but not my old system using the same lan card? I don't know, but if you think it is possible I will try it. I will try anything at this point this is a real bumer...

Thank you both for your advise!!!!

Yes it was, does that make a difference??

Should I partition an reformat and reinstall with the PCI LAN card installed?

Do you think that might help?

If so I will try it.

Thank for taking the time to responed.

keith

Sorry, I sent you a pm.

I was just saying that you might want to uninstall the card then reinstall after updating mobo drivers.

That might help.

Thank you, I will try that, but my big problem is the updated drivers online I can not get to them before it freezes. I am now going to try and connect thru my dail up service (I do have dsl and a dail up...lol. Hard core internet user can't be with out so I have a back up). If I am able I will download the updates that way...hope it solves my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom