What does the + mean in AMD CPU's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M@$t3r_N30

In Runtime
Basically, I am wondering why an AMD chip will say something like 2300+ and only run at 1.5 Ghz. I have heard that it means it is equivalent to 2. ghz? Is this true?

I am building a PC for Christmas this year and have picked out a cheap AMD Sempron 2400+ and ws wondering if it will do ok playing newer games (UT04, halflife 2) obviously with other good components.

Thanks.

AMD has a different structure of this chip and the core. Thus they are able to design a chip that can process the same amount of data or more in the same cycle, so their chips dont have to be clocked as fast as Intel. So yes, the clock speed is slower but the 2400+ will run just as fast if not faster than a 2.4ghz P4. This is how just about all of AMD's chips are designed.

My 3200+ runs at 2.2ghz, but is equivlant or better than a 3.2ghz P4.

The + sign is just AMD's way of saying that is the relative speed it can be said to experence, comparing it to intel.

Will that 2400+ be enough to play HL2, and UT04, possible only on medium to low settings. What ram and video card do you plan on using with that processor? Do you plan on overclocking it?

I have 2x512 Rosewill PC3200 ram and I haven't picked out a video card yet. I have an old geforce 5200 PCI which I will have to live with for now.

Also, I have been tweaking my setup on NewEgg before I order it. I have changed from a Socket A Sempron 2400+ to a Socket 754 2800+. Obviously I changed the motherboard too. Is this a smart change? Would it be worth changing higher to a 3000+?

Thanks.

I would suggest ungrading your video card, to either 6600gt or 6800gt, but the 6800gt is hard to find in agp, so if you wanted that card you would have to get a sli board.

I guess it all depends on how much you can put twords this system.

M@$t3r_N30 said:
I have 2x512 Rosewill PC3200 ram and I haven't picked out a video card yet. I have an old geforce 5200 PCI which I will have to live with for now.

Also, I have been tweaking my setup on NewEgg before I order it. I have changed from a Socket A Sempron 2400+ to a Socket 754 2800+. Obviously I changed the motherboard too. Is this a smart change? Would it be worth changing higher to a 3000+?

Thanks.

If you can afford it go with a Socket 939 and a AMD 64 3000+ How big is your budget? Do you need/want SLI?

I am pushing my luck as it as. I am only 15 and this will be my Christmas prsent from my parents. I am at like 400 now and can't go much higher. The mobo I found has PCI-E and onboard graphics. So I might purchase a nice card for my birthday in March.

One more thing. The mobo supports Athlon 64/Sempron. Does that mean Sempron 64 or plain old Sempron. It is a Socket 754.

EDIT: what is sli? Do I need it?

M@$t3r_N30 said:
I am pushing my luck as it as. I am only 15 and this will be my Christmas prsent from my parents. I am at like 400 now and can't go much higher. The mobo I found has PCI-E and onboard graphics. So I might purchase a nice card for my birthday in March.

One more thing. The mobo supports Athlon 64/Sempron. Does that mean Sempron 64 or plain old Sempron. It is a Socket 754.

EDIT: what is sli? Do I need it?

lol, that's just like me, saved up and finally on my birthday had enough to buy my machine...

I'm not sure about the 64 support, as I have no experience with 64bit processors, but I'd say no about getting sli, it's like paying double for a little bit more...

and it looks like the 6800GS is the new budget/performance card:drool:
(evga)

That processor you want, the Sempron 2400+ will be JUST fine. The processor doesn't matter so much as the video card. It'll do the job, no problem.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom