build or buy part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
"What you are failing to understand is that if you build that system, it will totally destroy the one you are looking at now due to the video card alone"

Thats not the point, the point is can you build the machine I have spec'd for less or not. Not I can make a faster machine with cheaper parts in one area to get the better video card, I can do that too, cheaper mobo, cheaper ram, cheaper this that and bam I have a cheaper rig with better video card. and for ...
Ste and his comment of ya, I knew that any built rig would pwn that one.
"
even if you pay say 50 more bucks, it still 300% better"

think about your statement and how uneducated you look makeing it

Not to add on to this flaming but mid has a point. I have the same problem as he does, I can buy a prebuilt gaming computer for the same money I can buy the parts and put it together myself. On top of that I dont know how to "burn in" a system and or how to set it up as a gaming rig. These prebuilt gaming pc's you can buy now have it all set up with drivers and OS and have pre set up the bios and other specs to work well with all the system componets. They then give you a disk that can restore it to the day you got it with all the tweaks already in it.

As a novice on building pc's I just cant convince myself that I will be better off buying all the parts going through the headaches of a first time build and trying to tweak something I dont know how to tweak. When there are machines out there being sold for under 1500 with most if not all the bells and whistles.

Alright, he says he wants a 6600 vanilla .. but honestly I think this computer is unbalanced, unless you're looking to run the dual-core-supported apps of tomorrow or something. The 3800+ isn't going to know what to do with itself while it waits for the 6600 to catch up :D

eVGA GeForce 6600 Vanilla 256mb <- can a 6600 handle 256mb? if not go for the MSI 128mb one
3800+ X2 AMD CPU
antec truepowerii 550W
2gb corsair valueselect ddr400
asus a8n sli deluxe mobo
maxtor maxline iii 250gb sata hd (out of stock)

that stuff totals ~$1050 shipped including $100 for the maxtor when it's back in stock

windows xp pro ($75 from eDirectSoftware.com)
windows works suite 2005 ($50 from eDirectSoftware.com)

Plus that stuff makes $1175, so that leaves you $200 to pick a case, burner ($30-$40), floppy ($10), fans ($10 each?), nice cables, etc. Best of all, you get the fun of putting it together yourself and being proud of the result!

But that PC isn't worth having for $1300. The 6600 is a big bottleneck. My $800 comp (sig) is probably better for gaming .. no offense.

ok just made some changes to the order before they start building it. I switched the mobo to the asus a8n premium, I dropped the ram from 2 to 1 gig and upped the video card to the 7800 gt and thats final lol I guess i can add more ram later cheaper then i can upgrade video card. To those who helped with constructive criticism thanks and to those who just said you can do better and offer nother (your a waste of bandwidth) and to ste ..... do you really believe what you wrote

"ya, I knew that any built rig would pwn that one. " heres your rig
Enermax 535 Watt ATX 2.0
Gigabye GA-K8NS Ultra-939
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester
Patirot (2 X 512)
eVGA 6800 128 MB AGP
Audigy 2 ZS
120 GB Sata WD HD
Sony CD Burner
Nec DVD Burner

I think my prebuilt one will own yours

Status