Buy a Celeron or stick it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostino

Baseband Member
I currently have a Sony Vaio PCV-RC360DS (866mhz, 512MB RAM, 2 hard drives total 120GB, ATI vid card, 4-port USB 2.0 card, dvd drive, 52x cdr drive). Nothing great but has lasted me a long time.

My friend picked up an eMachine from Best Buy on Black Friday for $120 (computer and monitor). He's going to give me the model number later today so I can see all of its specs but he says it is a 3.0Ghz Celeron. I'm not a fan of Celerons but I'm thinking it might be beneficial to me considering what I currently have.

The L2 cache on my Vaio is 256kb. I'm guessin the Celeron is at least that much.

Does anyone think it would be worth it to dish out the $120 for the eMachine? I'm not a gamer. I mostly use my comp for internet, occassionally photoshop, and sound editing (recording hour to 2 hour long DJ sets).

I'm leaning toward the eMachine just because I should be able to upgrade some things in the long run to make it last longer. I might even buy a Firewire card because I plan on getting the Maxtor OneTouch II 300GB hard drive with Firewire soon.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for the time, too.

I dont know the L2 cache off hand for a celeron, but moving from a 866mhz to a 3ghz pc, you will see an improvement in performace. You ha ve half a gig of ram in your current system, and if the Emachine doesnt come with half a gig, I would consider buying more ram for it, to get more preformace out of it.

All this for under 200, in your case I would say it would be worth it.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. The eMachine comes with 256MB RAM so I definitely need to up that.

I would think if the L2 cache is the same as my current system, then it couldn't be any worse. But I know the older Celerons were at 128kb L2 cache. If that is the case with this, I doubt I would bother. Once I get the full specs on this new system, I'll be able to do a little more research. I'd probably end up maxing out the RAM on it first. I'm all about some RAM.

Yeah, if it has the same L2 or better, I would say go for it, and add some ram. If it has a lower L2, it might still be a step up, but thats up to you.

Does the Emachine come with an operating system?

I am just curious, what os do you run on your current system?

Yeah it has an operating system but I'm not sure what it is. It's definitely Windows and I'd be willing to bet it is Windows XP Home.

I currently run Windows XP Pro on the system I have now, and its a legit copy, believe it or not.

yeah XP Pro on the old one. Goin back to XP Home on the new system won't be a dealbreaker for me. I don't mind.

I may give me old system to a friend who has a slower computer than my old one. I'll probably just format the hard drive, reinstall XP Pro and give her the XP Pro cd for the future.

I rarely game. I used to but even then, I wasn't deep into it.

I'll probably go for it. Money is tight right now so I'm just tryin to think if it is worth it. Right now, I'm leaning toward yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom