Big WTF- Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobzor

Baseband Member
I have an Athlon 64 3500+ that runs at 2.2Ghz. The other day I was looking at the X2 that AMD has out, and noticed it also runs at 2.2Ghz. WTF???
Is overclockability the only difference between the two?

noobzor said:
I have an Athlon 64 3500+ that runs at 2.2Ghz. The other day I was looking at the X2 that AMD has out, and noticed it also runs at 2.2Ghz. WTF???
Is overclockability the only difference between the two?
no, the X2 means it has a second core.

The X2 3800+ operates at 2.0Ghz, however.
How does this compare to a single core? How many Ghz is this overall, it can't be 4.0 because that would be ridiculous- the X2 is only $300.
Also, the 4000+ and 4200+ operate at the same frequency- 2.2Ghz. WTF????

noobzor said:
The X2 3800+ operates at 2.0Ghz, however.
How does this compare to a single core? How many Ghz is this overall, it can't be 4.0 because that would be ridiculous- the X2 is only $300.
Also, the 4000+ and 4200+ operate at the same frequency- 2.2Ghz. WTF????
Dual 2ghz cores do not add up to 4 ghz, it isnt really possble to state what the eqivellent of the dual core 2ghz is as a single core as they as dual cores are better at some things than others.

The 4400+ is more expensive because it as a larger L2 cache

Dual cores can split the work load, in some applications, this is why they are faster, while it may not seem like it, how they state the speed it is true, they multitask better because of 2 cores, work load is split. Etc etc.

Most games do not utilize the second core though. They will in the future.

If you spend 15 minutes doing research online, you'll know exactly what the difference is between Athlon 64's & Athlon X2's.

May I suggest www.google.com ?
Enter "Athlon X2" into the search field... Get ready to open pandora's box...

LOL -- the 4400+ X2 basicly has two CPU's one chip, operating at 2.2GHz EACH. Thats why it's called X2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom