problems transferring files

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilowe

Daemon Poster
The SMART status went bad on my 80 gig Western Digital hard drive. I got an RMA for a new hard drive, and the new one finally arrived. Now I'm in the process of transferring files between the two drives after installing windows on the new hard drive. I unhooked my DVD drives, and placed the old hard drive on the second IDE cable, so both hard drives are in the master position. Now, when I'm transferring files, it sometimes will take a while to transfer relatively small files (a couple of meg) between the two drives, and a lot of times an error will pop up, saying something about a cyclic redundancy check. Are the files that this error message pops up on completely hosed, or is there something I can do to save them? It seems to pop up time after time on the same files.

hilowe,are you picking and choosing files, why not Ghost hard drive ? unless im reading your post wrong.

yeah, i'm picking and choosing the files. I'm not ghosting it, because winblows started having major problems, and I decided to start from scratch on the new hard drive, and just transfer the important files from the old hd to the new hd.

I've only got about 7 files left to transfer, but keep getting this error.

hilowe said:
The SMART status went bad on my 80 gig Western Digital hard drive. I got an RMA for a new hard drive, and the new one finally arrived. Now I'm in the process of transferring files between the two drives after installing windows on the new hard drive. I unhooked my DVD drives, and placed the old hard drive on the second IDE cable, so both hard drives are in the master position. Now, when I'm transferring files, it sometimes will take a while to transfer relatively small files (a couple of meg) between the two drives, and a lot of times an error will pop up, saying something about a cyclic redundancy check. Are the files that this error message pops up on completely hosed, or is there something I can do to save them? It seems to pop up time after time on the same files.

Before you did this you should have removed read only from all on that hd.Are these 7 files that important ?
It seems to me you have got the job done.See my other post on this.

Thanks MicroBell. That's what I thought was happening, just wanted to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom