Socket 939 Opterons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to ask this (and highjack the thread) but...... what you guys are saying (im hoping) is that it would be a better deal to buy the Opteron 148 and a zalman cnps7700 then to get a 3700+ San Diego with stock cooling? They are pretty much the same cpu before OCing right? I was going to OC the sandi i was going to buy but this has caught my attention......

It's entirely luck of the draw...the first wave of Opterons that have reached the acclaimed 3GHz speeds on air are most likely gone now...just was the case with the Winchesters and Venices/San Diegos earlier this year

The trend with AMD cores is always the same, the early revisions will always be able to overclock insanely on little to no vcore change, with results getting gradually worse as time progresses. It's anyones guess what the next batch of Opterons will do and there's no gurantee it will do better or worse than the 3700+

That being said, you're probably more likely to get better results from an Opteron now than a San Diego...or you can check around ebay as there are numerous Opterons for sale and you are guranteed to get good stepping. For more information on AMD Opterons please read this

i just read a benchmark of the opteron 148 (the processor i'm looking to buy) saying it's the same as an athlon 64 fx-51... is this true? what's the difference between that and a normal athlon 64? quote:

"First, it really is the case that the Opteron 148 and the Athlon 64 FX-51 are the essentially same product with different names. They both run at 2.2GHz; both nestle into 940-pin sockets; both support dual channels of DDR400 memory." http://techreport.com/reviews/2003q4/opteron-x48/index.x?pg=1

i thought the 148 was socket 939? and 90nm, not 130nm. at least it is a on newegg.

maybe whoever did this benchmark doesn't know what he's talking about?

The 148 is availible in both socket 939 and socket 940 packages...the 148 should perform roughly the same as the FX-51, although that isn't a good comparison processor IMO and it's better compared to the 3700+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom