Outlook Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

D'Artagnan1673

Baseband Member
I've got a user whoose Outlook Express locks up many times a day. I've seen these before but this one does not quite fit the bill.

I've normally seen someone pull up OE and put their ID and password in before OE is finished loading. That will lock up OE in a heartbeat. This one is a little different. OE loads fine, the password box gets minimized to the taskbar, the user clicks on it, inserts password and the program locks up. The user is not terribly knowledgable, but I do not think he is the type that goes around messing stuff up either. I checked and he's using the latest version of IE and OE and I ran a repair from add/remove programs.

Any other suggestions? Thanks

Check to see if the user has webmail, if so, see if she can log in properly there. That would determin if it is user error. Have you tried adding a new identity and setting that up?

The user does have webmail. However, that does not appear to be the problem as I watched the user log in properly after a reboot. The IE/OE repair may have fixed the issue. I will not know until the user tells me that either the problem went away or that it still occurs.

If this goes any farther, I will try the idea of setting up another mail identity.

Thanks,

When you subscribe to an ISP you are allowed at least 1 email address using "Outlook Express"
Mine is 729233@rogers.com
I pay them a monthly fee for being here and 1 email address.
What is so different about yours.

Stan,

What does your comment have to do with my question? I'm not a single computer user. I am a computer tech that maintains a five campus school district. Our district gets our internet via a T1 connection and we have a mail server. This is not a home user issue. :)

My problem is more OS related.

D'Artagnan1673 i would agree. it sounds like the OS is crapping out. have you tried to reinstall the OS or restore the partition image?

you can try to reinstall the application from the msoe50.inf file that you'll find in the c:\windows\inf folder.... this usually helps.. give it a shot if required...!

I haven't reinstalled the OS yet. The machine used to be mine before I got a new one. The OS runs wonderfuly smooth, except for OE. The user is not much of a computer user. I don't think he even uses the computer for a word proecessor. I think the only thing he uses the machine for is to check his e-mail. For this reason I was hoping to find a better solution since otherwise the OS is rock solid.

However, if my latest attempts fail, it will be format time.

ScrewDriver said:
you can try to reinstall the application from the msoe50.inf file that you'll find in the c:\windows\inf folder.... this usually helps.. give it a shot if required...!

Thanks for the idea, I'll give it a try!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom