Memory usage help

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggot_corps

Solid State Member
Hi, my pc has recently started lagging massivly for no reason, my cpu usage is only at 1-4% at most times but my commit charge is at 960+. it only used to be at 200 max. is there any way i can sort this out?

What is running in the background...how many programs are in your startup? Sounds to me like you have so many programs running in the background that your system is now accessing the page file for virtual memory...or your HD is heavily defragmented....or you have spyware/malware happening.????

Also, go to your dos prompt and type chkdsk /p. What happens?

Thanks for the reply. ive attached a screenshot of task manager showing im running 39 processes and using 1848m/2463m and winlogon.exe using 309,884k what the hell is going on? When i start my pc up its using about 250m/2463m and it gradually goes up the longer my pc is running, i recently had a big bout of spyware attacks however i cleared or thought i cleared it using norton antivirus 2006, ad-aware, stinger, spybot, spy sweeper and spware blaster. None of these pick up any more spyware, norton sometimes says that C:\program files\roxshare\ace.dll is screwing something up but that directory doesn't even exist. any ideas people?

Attachments

• tasks1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 28
Note: winlogon.exe is also a process which is registered as the W32.Netsky.D@mm worm and the Backdoor.Prorat Trojan. The Netsky.D@mm worm is distributed via the Internet through e-mail and comes in the form of an e-mail message, in the hopes that you open itÂ’s hostile attachment. The worm has itÂ’s own SMTP engine which means it gathers E-mails from your local computer and re-distributes itself. In worst cases this worm can allow attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. It is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately.
Determining whether this process is a virus or a Windows process depends on the directory location it executes or runs from in WinTasks.

So my guess is you have the Trojan. Since it is using so much memory. Check to see where the winlogon.exe file is being executed from. That will give some kinda clue if it is not logon for windows or the trojan.

Okay after re reading your post that thing that Norton is telling you about is the Trojan i would bet. That is what is causeing all your problems. Open my computer>Tools>Folder Options>View tab. From there click on the setting for show all files. Then go to My Computer>(Windows Drive)C:>Doc and Settings>User>Local Settings. Some where is there you should find the folder that has the file causing all the problems. Either Boot into Safe Mode and delete the file or run a virus scan to delete it. Also might want to try NOD32 from Eset to get rid of it. The trial version should work to do so.

cheers for the quick replies, much appreciated. had to edit this list out as it was unreadable.

my bad thats quite hard to make out i'll attach a text file.

Attachments

• hijackthis.txt
    6.8 KB · Views: 28
Have you by any chance installed any new software prior to this issue ?

Have you performed a repair on the OS ?

I have checked your HJT log, and it looks pretty clean to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom