Installing USB 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

klein1jo

In Runtime
Hey, I have a MSI 845G Max. It has USB 1.1/2.0 ports all supplied via the motherboard. I do not have a USB PCI Card. My board has:

- 2 USB 1.1 ports soldered directly to the motherboard
- 2 USB 1.1 ports connected by one set of 9 pins (connected to case ports, called SET 1)
- 2 USB 2.0 ports connected by one set of 9 pins on a yellow connector (SET 2) AND one set of 9 pins on a black connector (SET 3)

One USB port needs 4 pins. Hence one set holds two ports with 1 pin left over.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Seeing as how the yellow connector (SET 2) connected the USB 2.0 bracket, I assume it's USB 2.0 compatible. I bought a USB 2.0 internal card reader. I am more concerned with having it use USB 2.0. I want to connect it to SET 2 and move the USB bracket to SET 1 making it USB 1.1 compatible.

After all is done, I would have my USB 2.0 bracket on SET 1 and my card reader on SET 2. With just this change my case ports would be dead. My card reader uses 4 pins so I could hook up one case port to SET 2 and have it USB 2.0 so it could run my iPod at highspeed.

So my final install would have:

SET 1 - USB Bracket
SET 2 - Card Reader, one case port
SET 3 - USB Bracket

So my question is will this work? What does SET 3 do and why is my USB 2.0 bracket connected to both SET 2 and SET 3? I hope this isn't confusing and I'll pop in lots to answer questions. Please help.

USB 2.0 is backwards compatiable, well at leats I assume. It wouldn't matter which set you plug it in.

I just don't know which pins on my boards are for USB 2.0. The USB 2.0 bracket plugs into 2 sets of pins, but only 1 set is needed for 1.1 ports. So I don't know if it needs both of those ports to be USB 2.0 or if the yellow one alone is USB 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom