DDR, can you explain something...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I run 1 gig in one slot, then 2x512 in another 2 slots, in DC?

The 1 gig won't be in DC though, I'm hoping, because it doesn't have a "mate" so to say, right?

chevytrucknut said:
Can I run 1 gig in one slot, then 2x512 in another 2 slots, in DC?

The 1 gig won't be in DC though, I'm hoping, because it doesn't have a "mate" so to say, right?

Correct. Only the 2 x 512MB will be running in Dual Channel (given they are in the Dual Channel configuration [Color Slots]).

I'm callin BS on the guys saying dual channel doesn't work in 4 slots. That's a load of bull. My board, for example, runs in dual channel. 2x512 and 2x256 runs spectacularly in dual channel mode. I don't care where you heard it from, it works. I am staring at the computer right now, running the ram in dual channel.

Ryan

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
I'm callin BS on the guys saying dual channel doesn't work in 4 slots. That's a load of bull. My board, for example, runs in dual channel. 2x512 and 2x256 runs spectacularly in dual channel mode. I don't care where you heard it from, it works. I am staring at the computer right now, running the ram in dual channel.

Ryan

He's right, 4 sticks will run in Dual Channel. If doing 2 x 512MB + 1 x 1GB, the 1GB will NOT run in Dual Channel. But if running 4 x 512MB or 4 x 256 MB, they WILL ALL run in DC.

The whole name dual channel pritty much gives it away doesn't it. You can run 2 modules of RAM in dual channel in 2 slots and then another 2 modules of RAM in the other 2 slots. Oh and by 266 i did mean 200 i just got it wrong. Don't think you can have 2 running in dual channel and then 1 module not in dual channel. I think that the motherboard just activates the whol board in dual channel mode so you have to have 2 chips in the 2 slots otherwise it won't work. But you can always turn dual channel off and have the differen't modules in although it'll be significantly slower. I'm pritty sure 1GB of RAM should be enough the only game that i have seen that says it recommends it is half life 2 but i suppose the more the better.

kahlos said:
I'm pritty sure 1GB of RAM should be enough the only game that i have seen that says it recommends it is half life 2 but i suppose the more the better.

First of all, "Pritty" is spelled "Pretty."

And are you kidding me? You can easily run HL2 on max with 1GB of RAM. Battlefield 2 and FEAR on the other hand REQUIRE atleast 1.5GB (2 GB preferably) to run on max, no matter what videocard you have. And thats not just an opinion, ask any BF2 player and they'll say the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom