cpu acting weired

Status
Not open for further replies.

iulibiz

Solid State Member
HI guys and thanks for recieving me in your forum.

After i opened up my Atx case to let some new air cool my system, it started to act weired. At 5-10 min after i boot, and after i start a Cpu nitense application (prince of persia sands of time) after 10 min my cpu goes up to 70 celsius. I have a program (wich came with my motherboard ) that monitorises the CPU and system temp. After 10 min my cpu goes to 70 and my system temp stays to 29-30 celcius. 70 celsius is too much if you ask me. The big problem is that my heatsink fan spins only at 2900rpm. (the max rpm is 4990). but even if the cpu goes to 70 celsius the fan doesent spin enough to cool it.
I want to tell you that when the heatsink fan goes to 3100-3500rpm, the proc temperature drops down to under 70 (67-69celsius)
I read somewhere that the heatshink fan is controled after the temperatuer in the system.....so......that.s why is not my fan spinning fast enough??? because its too much air????:D

PLease help me couse i have no ideea how to stop it for shutting down. I want to specify that i set my shut down temp in the bios to 75celsius (it never reached that temp).

My system is: pentium 4 3.0ghz, epox 4pda3i, ati radeon 9600 pro, 512 ram OCZ.

Thank you in advance....

i assume that the P4 is a prescott and not a northwood...cause the northwood would be dead by now....go into the bios and make sure that somthing like Q-Fan control is off...or another fan speed regulator (most bios's are different) and it should run at it's max...if the problem persists...get a new HSF cause the old one is going bad....right now i'm running a zalman 7700 HSF and even with my P4 prescott overclocked to 4.0ghz i'm idle at around 40c

I dont believe that i have something like that in my bios, but thats going to be the first thing i'm going to do tonight.

The thing is that is started doing that only after i took the side pannel off.

Tahnks .

NO the side pannel is still off.

The thing is that when i put it on...the temperature inside goes up (system temperature) and that's when i noticed that the hetsink fan reacts and goes up in rpm.

Is 70 celsius too much for a prescott???
Is it a chance i might burn it?

I don't think 70C would ruin it, but at high temperatures Pentiums slow themselves down to keep from getting ruined (called thermal throttling), so you might not be getting full performance. I'd say you should lower those temps with a nice heatsink.

When the computer is running try and touch the heatsink only with your finger and see if it's hot. Some temperature sensors on some motherboards are faulty causing a bad reading and a lot of stress on the user, such as in your case.:)

my P4 Prescott used to get upto 80-85 under load.. after a few extra fans, and a bit of dusting, max temps at 55-60, and thats with it OC'ed.
and yeah, my CPU fan runs off system temps, which is stupid IMO..
fan doesnt speed up until sysem gets to 40.C +.

I was thinking that if i would go for another heatsink but unfortunatelly i don't have the money for that right nw. A good choice would be something from Zalman right??

BUt in that case i will lose waranty on the CPU right?
i've had it for one year now and i still have 2 years left ....so....in case something might happen i have the waranty.

Can you please tell me more about thermal Throttling? i found that in my bios and at the moment is at 50% (it has values of 25%, 50%, and 75%) wich one should be best for my situation? and what does a setting of 75% do and what does a 25% seting do?

And abou what "H4x3r" wrote to check any speed controlers in my bios i don't have any...
The only thing i found about thermal..was thermal throtelling.

If i will not change the HSF do you have any ideea what might help me in keping the "little bastard" cool ??
Thanks guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom