Ram questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

souschef

Baseband Member
What diffrence does timing make on RAM?

To run dual channel do you need to buy the pairs that come together 512 x 2 or can you buy them indiviually?

Do heat spreaders make any diffrence if your not OCing?

Cas Latency, What is it and do I need to care?

The lower the number the faster it will go. Its not a lot of performance but AMDs take advantage of it better than Intel.

Better if you buy pairs they need to be very similar same timings I think. And i doubt heat spreaders make a huge difference Iv never had to use them. I think the cas latency is more important than the mhz speed maybe im wrong but id rather go with RAM with low timings than ones with higher mhz.

So, if I get one 512 chip and then buy the same make/model 512 chip again at a later date. Is that just as good as getting the package dual RAM deals?

I have some extra money to buy one now.
I just don't know if I should get it, or wait for my next pay day then get the package deal.

RAM does not run dual channel, the way you install it on a compatible motherboard decides if it runs in dual channel. They call it a "dual channel kit" because its 2 of the same. Install them on a motherboard without dual channel support and they will work just fine, It just wont be accessed in dual channel. got me?

I was thinking of getting this patriot "extreme performance" PC 3200. It is $39.50 on newegg after rebate. It has gotten good reviews.

I could spend about $20 more if it would be worth it, but my wallet is getting light enough this time a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom