Need toubleshooting help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verax

Beta member
Need troubleshooting help!

I'm trying to fix my friends computer. At first he just wanted me to reinstall Windows 98 (it's an older Dell Dimension). However, after I did this he said the computer froze up about every 2 minutes and he had to restart it. So he asked me to take a look at it again.

Here's the problem I'm getting. Once I plug my monitor into it nothing happens. The screen is just black. The computer light is on and I can hear the fans running. I plug the monitor back into my computer and everything is fine, so I know it isn't the monitor. First thing I thought was it had to be the video card.

So I got a cheap video card from ebay to see if that was the problem but still nothing. So I figured maybe the RAM was it. Tried that and still nothing. I'm running out of options. Could it be that the Motherboard or Hard drive died?

I don't know exactly what else to do. Maybe someone else with a past simular situation could enlighten me?

Any help is much appreciated!

does the computer beep when you start it?

does it beep like normal? does it beep at all? or are there 1-5 beeps?

Did you happen to reinstall the drivers after the fresh install of Win98?

There is no beeps at all. It's just a black screen and my monitor power light blinks on and off.

I did reinstall the video card drivers after the fresh install of win98, but that was all. I had to download those because there is no disk for it.

Absolutely nothing is viewable on the monitor. This is frustrating because I can't even get into the BIOS.

Any ideas?

PCIe or AGP? See if you can find a fried with an old PCI video card of any type hangin' around. If you plug that card in and get a video signal, then your AGP slot is fubared. I suspect you have a mobo AGP slot problem.

Sprooty said:
well if there are no beeps at all you might have a problem.

Thats very helpful. (sarcasism)

And very obvious.

Unattach the Harddrive and try to boot up.

If that doesn't work and its still a blank screen without an error messages or beeps, clear CMOS and then try booting.

I detached the hard drive and still no beeps. I just tried to clear the CMOS by removing the jumper and still the same black screen.

Now that I look at it it doesn't have any onboard sound. There is a sound card in the PCI slot. However when I hook my speakers up to it still no beeps. But since I reinstalled win98 I don't think any drivers are installed for the card. So I may have screwed myself.

Only thing I haven't tried is the PCI video card. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who can lend me one. Guess I could purchase a cheap one.

I really really appreciate the help thus far. Any other ideas before I decide to defenestrate this comp and buy a new one for my friend [sarcasm]?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom