Trouble Gaining Access To Windows XP Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ls

Solid State Member
Hi, Folks:

I need help. I do not know what I did but when I tried to open a folder on Drive G:(Drive C: is my hard drive.) from Windows Word in Windows XP Home,
a message appeared telling me that I had to obtain the Administrator's permission to gain this access. This tires me greatly. . . .I would like for someone to tell me how I can remove "Administrator" and everything that goes with it from my PC.

Please help.

Regards,

4ls

it is telling you that you do not have administrative privledges, you have limited access. if that was true you would not have access to delete admin. are you able to install or uninstall programs? what is on the G drive? and can you access the G drive through "my computer"?

Thanks, ek:

After I made that post I discovered that my system had enlarged my directory of drives to include Drive I: relative to some changes that I had made: I added a new UPB bus following the addition(a few days ago) of another DVD drive. For some reason, the system did not like my having Drives C:-H: It decided to add another drive. Drive G: now is identified as as CDROM drive(vacant). The problem that prompted the posting has been solved EXCEPT FOR disabling the Administrator feature. (Alas! I like the simple life.).

If you are a certifiable Windows XP guru, I have another question
relating to my DVD drive setup. Do you know how to configure the Device Manager IDE Controller properties to optimize the speed of the DVD drive activities. Apparently, mine are slow(bogged down).

I was told that it's Norton Systemworks' fault. But I fear viruses more than I desire a faster DVD drive for burnings. I won't disable Norton!

Is that the problem? Is there a "workaround?"

Your kindness will be appreciated.

Regards,

4ls

Ya, Norton could be one, but if you have a fast computer that wouldn't be a problem. It is probably because the DVD-R, they can't write faster than 4x or read faster than 16x. Check your account in Control Panel > user accounts and see if you have a limited account. Change your account type to Computer Administrator or just use the Administrator Account and delete your old one. Who cares is it doesn't have your name on it.

sorry for not replying sooner. you cannot delete the administrator account. it should not be showing when you first start your computer up. if it is, that means you should be able to disable it by using another account with admin access. the administrator account is a hidden backdoor basically.

as for your dvd drive being slow, can you describe this slowness to me? if you mean dvd movies are playing slower than normal speed or is skipping than you either have a scratched disc or your computer is not keeping up with the data transfer.

if so you should rip the movies to your hard disk and play them off that instead. www.dvddecrytper.com is a free ripping software that can accomplish this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom