new graphics card or pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBD

In Runtime
Hi guys:D

I am a gamer and I bought a Emachine T3085, AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 2.17 GHz about 2 years ago and upgraded it to 1.00 GB of RAM with a ATI 9600 256MB (agp) graphics card. I play BF2,HL2,ect....I was looking at ATI's X800XL 256MB (agp) graphics card ($300) It has GDDR3, Will this card work in my pc?

HL2's new lighting demo requires 2.2GHz to play so I CAN'T play it, This makes me want to buy a new PC. I would have about $700-800 to spend on a tower that I could upgrade later. I would buy it from BestBuy or CirciutCity. I don't know what to look for AMD, P4, PD.....

Should I buy a new Graphics card and use my PC for another year or should I buy a new tower and upgrade it over time?

Build a computer for yourself.

You can build a good gaming machine for $700-800

Also, go with Nvidia-based graphics cards, they are the top dog in graphics these days...

I'd say balls to the wall and just do an entire makeover. ;) .

Hercules is spot on with the gfx cards.

In gaming pc's, AMD seems to be the preferred cpu for gaming(though my intel works fine; it may be different for high end games, indeed i've never had an amd -or- a high end game :angry: )

I think ati's, even though their top-line card is supposedly able to outperform the 7800 gt (not sure on this, only heard opinions; help here, someone?), but everyone seems to like the 7800 gtx that has it, or if you're on a tight budget, overclock a 6800gt to about the same level, if you go with a system that could take it

Thanks for the advice:) I will go with Nvidia. I wish I could just build a computer myself. I wouldn't know where to start. My Emachine shot sparks out the back 20min. after I pluged it in for the frist time, so I like the fact that if I buy a pc from BestBuy or CircuitCity, If somthing is wrong with it, I can drive 5 min. and exchange it for a brand new one.

Well........If you still think I should build a computer myself, Where do I start?

Start learning to how, then find the parts you want, post them here, then we'll tell what's bad and what's good and what to change it to.

Order it, then build it.

Get a company to build it for you; such as monarchcomputer.com
Or, just upgrade your current computer to a 6800GS if you have a pci-e slot.

If you were to build one yourself, though, you could easily take out the amd 3000 and the gig of ram to give you more space and money to get a new computer.

he doesnt have pci-e....read his first post man...all AGP talk...

ummm if u are going to upgrade go wit a AMD 3200+ :)

Avalanch3 said:
he doesnt have pci-e....read his first post man...all AGP talk...

ummm if u are going to upgrade go wit a AMD 3200+ :)

you wont see or feel a difference between a 3000 and a 3200, he's better off getting a 3700 sandy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom