Overclocking a 6800 into a GS/GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalak

Solid State Member
Okay, hello all. I'm a first time overclocker and don't know what to do. I know how to overclock (that part is easy), the problem is, I want to know how far I can take it.

Now before you even ask I would like to point out that I have used the search function, but it doesn't answer the question I'm going to ask.

The question I am asking is as follows:

Can I overclock my 6800 PCI-Express to the speeds of a 6800GS or GT?

Also, how far can I actually take my card in terms of overclocking and much overclocking can I do without needing to put a better fan on?

I have a nVidia 6800 PCI-Express 256mb OEM. I have the latest drivers installed and look forward to trying this out.

Thank you for reading.

P.S. If possible could anyone reccomend (sp?) me a good but low cost VGA cooler for my card? Thanks again.

You can take the card as far as you want as long as it doesn't artifact etc.. or overheat. Yes the GS is overclockable to the equivalent gt

bios flash?

Just read some stuff on Guru3D forums about BIOS flashing and that it is better to do a BIOS flash than overclock. Can anyone give me some sort of tutorial or guide in how to flash the BIOS of a 6800 into a 6800GT?

The 6800GS is overclockable past the 6800Ultra. Your 6800 will never get in that arena, although you may be able to hit stock 6800GS speeds, but even then it wouldn't perform the same since the cards are different.

The only things taht you cant do with the PCI-E 6800 is you cant unlock the extra pipelines and vertex shaders so dont even try doing that because it is impossible on the pci-e version.

lazerman said:
The 6800GS is overclockable past the 6800Ultra. Your 6800 will never get in that arena, although you may be able to hit stock 6800GS speeds, but even then it wouldn't perform the same since the cards are different.

I would've thought the cards use the same chip, only the GS has a higher clock speed. Infact, I'm quite certain it does as I've read somewhere there are no pipes to unlock with a GS so its 12 pipes at 425Mhz Core Clock and 1000MHz Memory vs a 16 pipe GT at a lower clock speed of 350Mhz and 1000MHz Memory. (These figures were taken off of eVGA cards.) The reason the GT is better is because it has more pipes. The GS almost performs to the same standard (note almost) so I would've figured if I clocked the 6800 to the speeds of a GS then it would almost be as powerful as a GT.

Ridlyn said:
The only things taht you cant do with the PCI-E 6800 is you cant unlock the extra pipelines and vertex shaders so dont even try doing that because it is impossible on the pci-e version.

Thanks but I already knew that. It doesn't bother me though, I am quite content with the card I have. :D

Keep the replies coming! Thanks to all so far.

kaladarus said:
I would've thought the cards use the same chip, only the GS has a higher clock speed. Infact, I'm quite certain it does as I've read somewhere there are no pipes to unlock with a GS so its 12 pipes at 425Mhz Core Clock and 1000MHz Memory vs a 16 pipe GT at a lower clock speed of 350Mhz and 1000MHz Memory. (These figures were taken off of eVGA cards.) The reason the GT is better is because it has more pipes. The GS almost performs to the same standard (note almost) so I would've figured if I clocked the 6800 to the speeds of a GS then it would almost be as powerful as a GT.
/B]

No, the 6800 is clocked way lower, it will MAYBE reach 6800GS speeds, but I would doubt it. It'll be pretty hot at that time too.

and the 6800 only has DDR memory while the GS and GT has GDDR3 wihch is way faster VROOOOOOOOOOOOOM

yea u won't get it as fast at thje GS but just overclock it till it artifacts and then take it down a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom