config problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchoca

Beta member
I just got a new Hitachi 80 gb hard drive to add on to my current hard drive.

My system:

soltek mobo
amd athlon 64 3400+
1 gig ram
350w power sup
geforce 6600gt

My current hard drive is a samsung SATA RAID 120 gb. I also have an NEC dvd rom/burner. The burner and the new Hitachi hd are both ATA100 where the old/current hd is SATA.

So here's the problem: I installed the Hitachi, and then for some reason, my burner stopped working. It acted as if it was receiving no power. I set the HD to master and the burner to slave, still no work. I unplugged the hitachi from the mobo but left it plugged into the power supply, and the burner worked fine, so i don't think its a power problem, but i can't be positive.

That power supply is pretty crappy, maybe it just cant supply enough power for all the things in your computer.

Tried a differen't IDE cable

and if you only have 2 Drives A burner and A HD why not have the Burner on the second IDE channel.

both must be set as master, as long as they are alone on the Channel.

i suppose i could try using a different cable. i already tried putting the burner on the second channel. Didn't make a difference. I tried to use the new hard drive (set on master) BY ITSELF with the burner completely unplugged and my computer didnt even recognize it. I failed to mention that my computer NEVER recognized it, even when my burner stopped working.

another note on the ps: I plugged the burner in completely and just plugged the other IDE cable into the hd but kept it unplugged from the ps and the burner still didnt work.

yeah...i tested the hard drive in a working enclosure on a completely different computer and it still didnt work, so i'm going to take it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom