Hitching in Gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerohero2

Baseband Member
Hi, I'm having a very frustrating problem with my computer. I recently have been playing Unreal 2004 and while my guy runs or when i spectate and move around, the computer will have little spurts where the graphics slow down but don't ever stop completely, it kinda reminds me of when a fish gets hooked, it slows down but the hook slips off real quick and the fish speeds up again. I want to know if it's my CPU or my GPU, neither have had problems in the past. These hitches don't last long either just for maybe a half a second and it will continually do it if it shows lots of things moving otherwise it's fine. I recently installed a new CPU fan and heatsink approved for up to 1.7Ghz, could my CPU be slightly overheating? In the BIOs it never exceeds 45 degrees Celcius. Here are my system specs.

CPU; AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (actual Clock 1.5 Ghz)
Baton Core

GPU; PNY Verto Geforce 4 MX 440 w/ AGP 8x

Motherboard; Biostar M7VIT Pro

PSU; 400W

New CPU Fan; Radioshack Socket 468 (or A) 1500 ~ 1700+

RAM; PNY Optima 512MB 400mhz (PC 3200) DDR SDRAM 184pin

I think its just a combination of old componants your CPU and graphics card arnt the top range and 512 of RAM isnt minimum these days. have you tryed turning all the settings down to low and all extras like shadows off.

That video card is not up to the task. I'm surprised UT runs at all. You need to go to a 6600gt minimum, I wuld suggest the investment in a 6800gt. The CPU is a limiting factor but the GPU is dirt!!!

Yeah I'm planning to go 6600GT here pretty soon but I think the card may be failing, it ran unreal like a dream before. I know I Have a crap CPU as well, but at least I'm doing this good on a 10.00$ a week allowance. I plan to upgrade to a gig really soon, but I just need an opinion on the card, is it failing?

I found out it's the new 81.95 Nvidia Drivers that did it. As for the crappy GPU, I can play Call of Duty 2 on it RicoDirenzo

Zerohero2 said:
I found out it's the new 81.95 Nvidia Drivers that did it. As for the crappy GPU, I can play Call of Duty 2 on it RicoDirenzo

The reason your running CoD2 with no problems is because your running it in DirectX 7. I can run CoD2 in Dx7 at over 60fps at 1600x1200 with 4xAA 8xAF. big deal. when i switch it to Dx9, I'm lucky to get 40fps at 1024x768 4xAA 2xAF.

What i'm trying to say is that running CoD2 on your system isn't saying much at all because your running it in DirectX 7, and nowadays, DirectX 7 is easy. Hell, DirectX 7 is what GeForce 2's were made for, and we all know how old those are!

I'm running it in Direct X 9.0c

Don't kid yourself, your running on an MX440. MX440's dont' even have shaders. You may have Dx9.0c installed , but your not actually using it. CoD2 won't let you run in Dx9.0 because you don't have an SM2.0 videocard. go ahed and check, and see that CoD2 has 'Yes' checked in for "Force DirectX 7 Rendering".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom