System Overheating without Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm.... Check in your BIOS settings for a CPU Fan Target or something similar.... It would have temp settings... Disable that.... What it does is force the fan to slow down to let the CPU heat up to that temp.... I learned the hard way 5 min ago... lol

Maybe reseat the heatsink with some Arctic Silver 5? If there isn't proper heat transfer from the CPU to the heatsink the CPU could be really hot and the heatsink wouldn't. I agree with Ridlyn - get some aftermarket cooling. That Zalman 9500 is supposed to be awesome. And use AS5. :D

Incidentally, you're running 333MHz RAM at 400MHz unless you have a memory divider .. but that doesn't contribute to the CPU temp. Something to think about, though.

Hmm.... Check in your BIOS settings for a CPU Fan Target or something similar.... It would have temp settings... Disable that....

I'm almost certain I don't have that setting but I'll take a look anyway.

get aftermarket cooling

*the student nods his head and laughs*
When I'm a millionaire compadre...

Maybe reseat the heatsink with some Arctic Silver 5?

Being just within my budget I think thats what I might just end up doing.

Andorin said:
*the student nods his head and laughs*
When I'm a millionaire compadre...
Aftermarket cooling isn't that expensive. It's watercooling that's expensive. Aftermarket cooling just means a better heatsink/fan apparatus. Go to Newegg and search for "Zalman CNPS." Those are all great hs/fans. The newest and best one is the 9500.

I stuck a vacuum cleaner up against my CPU fan and sucked all the dirt out from the heatsink. The temperature dropped over 20 degrees.

Its still at 60 while operating at full bore though... which still seems a bit to high. So I think a new heat sink etc and some Artic Silver might be a good call. I'm not sure about spending $68 dollars on a HS/Fan though... A nice £10 one from E-Buyer maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom